Can you name a good fantasy TTRPG that's not D&D?

Wicht

Hero
Can you name a good fantasy TTRPG that's not D&D?
Pathfinder (too easy, also debatable - not whether it's good, but if it's not actually Dungeons and Dragons)...

So let's do other systems...
One Ring (excellent LotR)
Rune Quest (d100 based system same as Call of Cthulhu)
Mousegard (talking mice makes it Fantasy)
Call of Cthulhu (for modern horror/fantasy), also The Laundry (same system, slightly different world)
Toon (for cartoon fantasy - I did a Smurf haunted house once using Toon that was a blast)
Victoriana (for steam-punk fantasy; own the system but haven't actually used it)

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
Multiple Genres
  • BASH! (Basic Action Games) includes some discussion on running different types of fantasy
    (note: BASH! Legends of Steel (see below) has the basis for what will be the new version of the game, but the setting is for comic book Sword & Sorcery. There are no guidelines for other types of fantasy in BASH! LOS, but it has supplements for High Fantasy).
  • Savage Worlds. Between official and third party supplements, it covers many subgenres of fantasy
  • Tiny Dungeon 2e (Gallant Knight Games). The base rules includes several micro-settings with additonal micro-settings and optional rules in TinyZine (with yearly issues collected into a compendium)
  • Fantasy Hero (Hero System 4th edition version) or Fantasy Hero 5th Edition (both by Hero Games) and you will need the Hero System rulebook for the edition. Both editions have have advice on various subgenres with 5th editon having the advice toward the front of the book while, in 4e, the advice does not appear until page 107 in the section on Game Mastering
Arthurian Fantasy
  • GURPS Camelot (Steve Jackson Games) requires GURPS rulebook and was designed for 2e or 3e
  • Pendragon (Chaosium)
Epic Fantasy
  • Against the Dark Master (Open Ended Games Inc): a retroclone of the old Middle Earth Roleplaying Game from (ICE)
Grimdark
  • Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay First Edition. The pdf is currently, availabe on drivethrurpg via Cubicle 7
Flintlock Fantasy, Pirate Fantasy, Swashbuckling Fantasy
  • Honor + Intrigue (Basic Action Games) based on the system for Barbarians of Lemuria. Swashbuckling with optional rules for magic
  • Pirates of the Spanish Main (Pinnacle Entertainment) requires Savage Worlds. Has rules for magic
  • 50 Fathoms Explorer Edition (Pinnacle Entertainment) requires Savage Worlds. I have not looked at it in a while. Was described to me as Pirates of the Caribbean meets Waterworld (
    notes: there is a 50 Fathoms Companion, but it is my undestanding that it was included in the 50 Fathoms Explorer editon. Also, there is a free upgrade to the Deluxe version of Savage Worlds
High Fantasy
  • Hellfrost (Triple Ace Games) requries Savage Worlds
Post Cataclysmic Fantasy
  • Earthdawn 1e
  • Sundered Skies (Triple Ace Games) requires Savage Worlds
Sword & Sorcery Fantasy
  • Beasts & Barbarians (GRAmel) requires Savage Worlds (Pinnacle)
  • Barbarians of Lemuria (Beyond Belief Games). There is a newer editon published by another company, but I did not like the few changes that were discussed.
  • BASH! Legend of Steel (Basic Action Games)
  • Legend of Steel (Barbarian of Lemuria Edition): more Conanesque Fantasy than Barbarians of Lemuria. Does not require Barbarians of Lemuria.
Modern Fantasy Kids on Bikes
  • Stranger Stuff (Fat Goblin Games) uses Tinyd6 system and, imo, is better than the Kids on Bikes!
(note: if I get a chance, I will update this list further with Victorian Fantasy and a few other editions)

Last edited:

Remove ads