Can you name a good fantasy TTRPG that's not D&D?

dbm

Savage!
I still have my Rolemaster books, 2nd edition I believe... Sadly I lost my copy years ago of MERP, the Middle Earth version of the Rolemaster system.
Another long time RoleMaster fan, here! There is also HARP, which is kind-of RM-lite in many ways.

FF9E3C57-3CAA-410C-9E16-13AA3B4C3242.jpeg

RMU seemed to have dropped into development-hell? Not seen anything on that for quite some time?

pemerton

Legend
Another long time RoleMaster fan, here! There is also HARP, which is kind-of RM-lite in many ways.
I've got a shelf a lot like that one! I played RM as my main game from 1990 to the end of 2008, though not since. I have most of those HARP books but never actually played it - these days Burning Wheel is my favourite FRPG, and for me it does most of what I would look to HARP for.

RMU seemed to have dropped into development-hell? Not seen anything on that for quite some time?
Do you get the regular ICE briefings? This is from the April 2002 one:

The artwork for RMU Treasure Law continues to arrive at pace. Colin is organising the artwork for the first volume of RMU Creature Law.

Our first wave of experiments were successful, so Nick has now embarked on the first layout pass on RMU Arms and Character Law. The layout phase has begun.​

And in the January 2022 briefing, Nicholas said "Expect 2022 to be the year when we publish RMU." So I think it is happening.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of 13th Age. Is that because it's too similar to D&D for people to consider it, or is it just not that popular? I've personally been wanting to try it out with my group as a possible replacement for 5e because I like a lot of the differences. I think the feats and the One Unique Thing make it easier to make PCs more customizable.
I came here to say 13th Age but will leave having said Dungeon World and Swords of the Serpentine.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Monster Care Squad by Sandy Pug Games. You play a crack team of healers who wander the world healing giant, magical, creatures of a disease that has caused them to turn feral and attack communities that they had previously lived in harmony with. It's a great premise and the book is beautiful. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but can't wait to get it to the table.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Just staying away from D&D derivatives there's Mythras, its distant cousin Sabre Fantasy, the Conan 2D20 game, Fantasy Hero and probably a good dozen more I just can't think of off the top of my head.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of 13th Age. Is that because it's too similar to D&D for people to consider it, or is it just not that popular? I've personally been wanting to try it out with my group as a possible replacement for 5e because I like a lot of the differences. I think the feats and the One Unique Thing make it easier to make PCs more customizable.

As far as combat goes, the Escalation Die and damage on missing an attack roll seem like nifty innovations to keep combat from bogging down. Plus, distance is abstracted (engaged, nearby, far away) so it isn't dependent on maps and minis.

Also, from a GM perspective, I like the monster stat blocks a whole lot more as they look much easier to run. Magic using NPCs don't require you to flip back and forth between their entry in the bestiary and the spells section.

Only reason its not on my list is I was staying away from D&D derivatives (same for PF2e and Shadow of the Demon Lord).

Remove ads