Can you smite more than once a round?

shilsen

Adventurer
Suppose you have a character with the smite ability and able to use it more than 1/day, e.g. Paladin with the Extra Smite Feat, or a Pal5/Templar10 (DotF PrClass). When taking a full attack action, can he smite more than once, or must he use the smites in separate rounds?

I think you can use more than one smite in the same round, but can see the opposite argument too. I would like to know if there's a rule that specifically answers the question. Thanks in advance.

hong

WotC's bitch
As far as I can tell, there's nothing stopping you from smiting multiple times in the one round. You don't even need to go to splatbooks for this -- a multiclassed cleric/paladin of a god with the Destruction domain could be able to smite twice per day (with one of these usable only against evil creatures).

[edit: remembered to mention multiclassing]

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Thanks. I just wanted to be sure that I hadn't missed some rule that vetoed it.

Follow-up question:

Could a paladin/cleric of a god with the Destruction domain (using hong's example from above) use the smite evil paladin ability and use the smite domain cleric ability on the same attack? Again, I can't remember a specific rule that would disallow this tactic. As a DM I would probably disallow (maybe it on the grounds of both being supernatural abilities?)

Last edited:

novyet

First Post
I've never heard of any restrictions on how many times you can do it, as long as the target was evil in the cleric/paladin example. In fact I think a couple of the smackdowns in Jairaimi's thread have used that tactic.

Remove ads