• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you smite more than once a round?

shilsen

Adventurer
Suppose you have a character with the smite ability and able to use it more than 1/day, e.g. Paladin with the Extra Smite Feat, or a Pal5/Templar10 (DotF PrClass). When taking a full attack action, can he smite more than once, or must he use the smites in separate rounds?

I think you can use more than one smite in the same round, but can see the opposite argument too. I would like to know if there's a rule that specifically answers the question. Thanks in advance.

hong

WotC's bitch
As far as I can tell, there's nothing stopping you from smiting multiple times in the one round. You don't even need to go to splatbooks for this -- a multiclassed cleric/paladin of a god with the Destruction domain could be able to smite twice per day (with one of these usable only against evil creatures).

[edit: remembered to mention multiclassing]

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Thanks. I just wanted to be sure that I hadn't missed some rule that vetoed it.

Follow-up question:

Could a paladin/cleric of a god with the Destruction domain (using hong's example from above) use the smite evil paladin ability and use the smite domain cleric ability on the same attack? Again, I can't remember a specific rule that would disallow this tactic. As a DM I would probably disallow (maybe it on the grounds of both being supernatural abilities?)

Last edited:

novyet

First Post
I've never heard of any restrictions on how many times you can do it, as long as the target was evil in the cleric/paladin example. In fact I think a couple of the smackdowns in Jairaimi's thread have used that tactic.

Remove ads