• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can you twin booming blade

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Green Flame Blade is easy. Can't be twinned by dent of affecting multiple targets.
Nah, the creature damaged by the flames isn’t actually a target of the spell, so it’s still twinnable (of course, I still think the RAW says that what you actually affect two targets with when you twin it is the rider effect: “when you hit the target with a melee attack...” not the melee attack itself. But again it doesn’t matter as the RAI is clearly that you can make a second melee attack when you twin it.)

Last edited:

Hah. that is another can of textual worms.

Though for this one Crawford agrees that RAI are that GFB can't be twinned.
There are a whole lot of spells that could be twinned that aren't intended to be twinnable if you interpret the word "target" in the spell description very literally.

Horwath

Legend
This whole "twin spell" is badly written.

It should have been. You can twin any spell that is not "target self only". Even AoE.

It should say; no target can be affected by the same spell effect more than once.

Dausuul

Legend
Not by much, you will get all important targets in first AoE, second would mostly be like to hit some mooks.
That depends very much on a) the size of the AoE and b) how mixed up your own party is with the enemy. I routinely find myself wishing for just a few more feet of radius on my AoE spells to catch several more targets. And yeah, those targets are mooks, but mooks can kill you; wiping out mooks is the whole point of AoE.

Ricapath

First Post
Booming blade has a range of self as of Tashas so you cant twin it. It is a spell you cast on yourself to allow you to make a magical weapon attack, like you're enchanting your own strike. Also it says that you "make a melee attack" so that while you could argue you could twin the spell, you can't twin the melee attack that you have to make

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
Booming blade has a range of self as of Tashas so you cant twin it. It is a spell you cast on yourself to allow you to make a magical weapon attack, like you're enchanting your own strike. Also it says that you "make a melee attack" so that while you could argue you could twin the spell, you can't twin the melee attack that you have to make
More specifically, it has a range of "Self (5-foot radius)" which isn't the same thing as a range of "Self". Crawford has (post-Tasha's) clarified that spells with a range of "Self (5-foot)" do not (necessarily) target the caster--instead the spell effect merely originates in the caster's space.

The relevant tweets can be found here. So Booming Blade still only has one target, the creature attacked, even after its range was changed in Tasha's.

Remove ads