D&D 5E cancelled 5e announcement at Gencon??? Anyone know anything about this?

wrecan

First Post
You are equating an unavoidable consequence whose results were a matter of luck to a fully avoidable consequence whose results are a matter of behavior.
No I'm not. I am not comparing cancer and D&D. I am comparing the logic behind the arguments.

"I did not experience a problem with X. Therefore I see no reason to change X"

That's the statement with which I am taking issue. The issue is the same no matter what X is. It can be "linear fighters, quadrtic wizards". It can be "THAC0". It can be "cigarettes causing cancer". It can be "Windows crashes whenever I try to install this update".

The problem with the argument (not the subject of the argument) is the same. The arguer is stating (perhaps without meaning to) that because they personally didn't experience the problem, it should not be changed. Chances are, what they mean is "I understand others have this problem, but for me and my playstyle, I prefer the system as was to the systems as it is changed to fix this perceived problem." But what it sounds like is "Since I didn't experience it, I don't believe the people complaining about it did either."

The problem can also be portrayed in the reverse in the edition war. A 4e defender could say (and I have seen it been said) that "I never had a problem with disassociated mechanics. I see no reason to design a game without them." Such a person is essentially denying that anybody could have a genuine problem with disassociated mechanics, this diminishing everybody who has expressed such a problem. Such statements are not helpful, not substantive, and entirely condescending.

Wicht, you may perceive that people are telling you that you are playing wrong, but apparently 4E fans are narrow, inflexible, problematic, and drunk:

To the exact same degree that 3E fans are cancer-ridden addicts.

(I'm not sure you've quite grasped how analogies work. If I say, "Your eyes are blue like an iceberg." I'm not saying that they are literally navigation hazards to large ships.)

My problems with 3E do not stem from the 15MAD or disparity in power between casters and non-casters. But I did have problems with power gap. Byron and now BotE claim that I'm "doing it wrong" otherwise I would not encounter the problem like they did.

I didn't say anything about you. And I didn't say anything about power imbalance. Please don't lie about what I said. It's not very polite.

Of course this is more a case of is system mastery rewarded? I believe there is a Monte Cook essay that says there is some of that in 3.x, where system mastery is rewarded.

If meaningful choice is given, system mastery will be rewarded. This has nothing to do with "balance". Chess is a balanced game. But it doesn't mean that all choices are equally likely to lead to victory.

Beginning of the End: So the analogy is not "my grandfather smoked for 70 years, therefore smoking cigarettes isn't a problem".

I have no idea how you concluded that from the sentence of mine you quoted. The analogy is not D&D:smoking. The analogy is the specific quote I cited above concerning one person's play experience to an argument made about smoking being safe for one person.

The analogy you offered is an incorrect representation of what people are saying. The analogy I offered is a correct representation of what people are saying.

Also, your understanding of the word "specific" may need some work. You didn't cite any sort of "specific quote" in your original message. Or, AFAICT, anywhere else. You offered a generalized paraphrase. Not the same thing.

My point is that a group of players could force the 15MAD against the DM's preferences if they are adamant enough. There's nothing in the system encouraging them to not nova and then rest.

This assumes that scenario design isn't a significant part of the D&D game or the balance of the system. That should be self-evidently nonsense.

(Try playing D&D without any kind of scenario. You can't. It's a necessary part of the game.)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm very curious as to this assertion: my experience in 4e play is that the major resource to track is healing surges, with daily powers being a minor concern... and that healing surges are supremely limited. Although one could imagine a group who never got hit making it through KotS in a day or two, that could also be said about a group of AD&D characters, although the spellcasters probably wouldn't be doing much spellcasting.

Yes, you get fully healed by resting overnight, but that doesn't obviate the need to rest once you're hurt.
Getting fully healed from an overnight rest vs. getting back 1 h.p. from resting overnight is a rather massive difference in parameter.

In 4e KotS can be played as designed: you've got a few days to get to Kalarel and stop him before he opens the gate. In 1e the same plot falls flat - unless the players take in a party of 30 and hope a few reach the end - due to the timing issues. 1e also has training to contend with - if someone bumps the choice immediately becomes "do we keep going or do we bail to town so Cassandra can train for a week" - where with 4e you in effect train on the fly.

I haven't converted and run any higher-level 4e adventures yet.

Lanefan

Getting fully healed from an overnight rest vs. getting back 1 h.p. from resting overnight is a rather massive difference in parameter.

In 4e KotS can be played as designed: you've got a few days to get to Kalarel and stop him before he opens the gate. In 1e the same plot falls flat - unless the players take in a party of 30 and hope a few reach the end - due to the timing issues.

I cant talk for 1e, but in 2e the same adventure could be run with the same time constrants arounf 5th or 6th level. wizards have 1/3/4 spells per day, and clerics have a few heals and a few buffs...throw 1 or 2 potions and a pearl of power into the treasure along with a few scrolls... it would be doable.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter

In 4e KotS can be played as designed: you've got a few days to get to Kalarel and stop him before he opens the gate. In 1e the same plot falls flat - unless the players take in a party of 30 and hope a few reach the end - due to the timing issues. 1e also has training to contend with - if someone bumps the choice immediately becomes "do we keep going or do we bail to town so Cassandra can train for a week" - where with 4e you in effect train on the fly.

Thank you!

I find training to be a problem in AD&D: It's not in OD&D, it's not in Basic D&D. It mucks up a bunch of AD&D adventures as written (where are the PCs training during Pharaoh, for instance, let alone Descent into the Depths of the Earth). See also Gary's response to this problem.

There was a time when I was running Halls of the High King in 2E, and there seems to be about 10 encounters in a row as the PCs chase the villain. There's no "time" they have for resting, but the encounters are punishing. I've always wondered about that one...

Without a doubt, the way healing surges works owes more to 3E than 1E: In mid-level 3E, the cleric would heal everyone to full every night (esp. with a wand), so the 4E design just removes the need for the wand (and also extend it to 1st level)... and the healer.

Cheers!

Hussar

Legend
/snip

This is usually the point where Hussar tries to dismiss all of that as the spellcasters somehow "dictating" the content of adventures. But, frankly, these are just the characteristics of good adventure design. You should be doing this stuff in D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Savage Worlds, or any other RPG you're playing. The whole "all the monsters sit in their rooms and wait for the adventurers to kick down the door" thing isn't really a style of play you should be clinging to as if it were the holy grail of gaming, IMO.

If that's all you want out of your gaming, you should go play Diablo. (And I don't mean that in a dismissive fashion: I mean that CRPGs are literally much, much better at delivering that style of play.)

How is this not a badwrongfun post? If you don't follow the BOTE way of gaming, you're not playing the game right?

I mean, sure, having time pressure makes for good adventures. No argument here. But, if every adventure must have these pressures and the only reason for that is to counter the mechanics, then aren't the mechanics dictating a single way of playing?

There are all sorts of scenarios - exploration scenarios being a prime example, where time pressure doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

While having "24" be the basis for a campaign is fine and exciting, it's not the be all and end all of gaming. Sometimes I have no problem with the group taking four months to go through an adventure.

I guess that just makes me a bad DM.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
So you can have more people who would want to play the game than just the people who sunk in a significant amount of time and money getting the game to work? That and I've never actually hear anything all that convincing here that there was a significant change or anything from 3.5E to 4E.
This assumes that I have problems with either finding players, or in finding and teaching new players who have not learned to play with my preferred style and rules.

Since neither is the case then your point is null.

I have full games.

I have run Pathfinder for complete beginners.

When running 3.0 in the store game (the only one where I ever encountered the 15MAD) I never had complaints once they realized that events could and would bite them in the arse if they stopped after every encounter. Instead I got compliments for making the world more believable. They liked the fact that the bad guys didn't just hang around waiting for the PCs.

And, as I mentioned, I use that self same technique in games that do not use magic at all - it is not a technique created to make up for shortcomings in the system, it is a technique used to create a tenser, more immersive experience, that happens to also engender resource conservation.

So, umm, no.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Thank you!

I find training to be a problem in AD&D: It's not in OD&D, it's not in Basic D&D. It mucks up a bunch of AD&D adventures as written (where are the PCs training during Pharaoh, for instance, let alone Descent into the Depths of the Earth). See also Gary's response to this problem.

There was a time when I was running Halls of the High King in 2E, and there seems to be about 10 encounters in a row as the PCs chase the villain. There's no "time" they have for resting, but the encounters are punishing. I've always wondered about that one...

Without a doubt, the way healing surges works owes more to 3E than 1E: In mid-level 3E, the cleric would heal everyone to full every night (esp. with a wand), so the 4E design just removes the need for the wand (and also extend it to 1st level)... and the healer.

Cheers!
Heh, I will never, ever hold up AD&D as an example of good game design!

I had fun playing it, but.... :lol:

Rules changes between books written for the same game (MM, PHB, and DMG).

A horrible unarmed combat system that was unrelated to the melee combat system.

XP Rewards for having good stats.

Etc., etc., & etc..

The Auld Grump

pemerton

Legend
What your state of resources are or are not should not be the mechanism that determines whether you are in or out of a fight.
The system has nothing to do with it. Resting is not guaranteed, and the DM has all the power he or she needs to make sure nova-and-resting is discouraged.

"You hear the stomping of feet and shouts in some sort of goblin-speech coming from the woods around you. There are no enemies nearby, but you can tell from years of experience that this is an unsafe place to rest.
a DM has more controls at low levels to prevent certain issues from cropping up. But what happens when the party gains access to more convient modes of transport? Teleporting back to a well-studied home base after carefully studying the location they wish to return the next day? This happens around 9th level with just a wizard in the group. An 8th-level wizard can hide the party in a rope trick for 24 hours with three castings. You could obviously subject the party to danger each time they rest a home after a teleport or each time they exit the rope trick, but it seems awfully contrived at some point.
I agree with VB's point here.

In the game I describred upthread - in which the PCs teleported 1000 miles to work everyday, and then teleported back home once they started running low on spell points, "home" was the imperial palace in The Great Kingdom.

There are ways to introduce time pressure, or constraints on resting, into such a game - NPCs waiting to ambush the PCs as they fly outside the castle's teleport wards read to teleport home; or functionaries in the palace waiting to send them on a different mission as soon as they telport back - but as VB points out, at a certain point this becomes contrived. The PCs are of a level - both mechanically, and within the social and political context of the gamewolrd - that there just aren't that many NPCs who can challenge them, and there aren't that many functionaries who are brave enough to tell them what to do.

The game would simply have been less inane if the PCs' access to their spells was regulated in some other fashion than "rest for 8 hours to get spell points that you can exhaust in a minute or two of action". (The caster vs martial issue didn't matter in this particular game, because all the PCs were casters - whether pure or "semi".)

The 15MAD/early-onset-LFQW is only a problem in a very specific and very narrow and very inflexible style of play.
The only thing you need in order for the 15MAD/early-onset-LFQW not to be a problem is a mildly reactive world which isn't put on PAUSE whenever the players aren't looking at it.

Adventures with imposed time-based deadlines are one way to achieve a reactive world, but other methods include:

- Proactive opponents (reinforcing positions, sending retaliation squads, changing plans, abandoning hideouts, destroying evidence, making new alliances, etc.)

- NPC Competition (stealing the rewards, winning the acclaim, etc.)

- Competing interests (do we need to choose between X and Y, or can we try to accomplish both?)

- Demanding support cast (you need me to rescue your cat? but I just used all my spells to nova that fight with the goblins!)

- A variety of long-term and short-term goals

- A mixture of unexpected challenge types

And, of course, all of that is really just scratching the surface. Pretty much anything which creates a short-term demand or uncertainty will do the trick.
Uncertainty is not sufficient. Rational players will make expected utility calculations. As well as uncertainty, then, there must be a sufficiently high degree of risk - demanding support cast whom the PCs can't afford to ignore, short term goals that may be completely lost if not resolved right now, etc. Sometimes this becomes contrived.

There is also the issue that, in a system like D&D or Rolemaster, a high level spell caster who is not casting spells - whether because s/he has none left, or she is saving them for later - is operating at only a very modest fraction of his or her capability. In a game in which some of the PCs are not spellcasters, perhaps this is where those non-casters get the time to shine. In a game with all spellcasters - such as the one I described above - it just means that nothing is happening!

I mean, it doesn't add much to a high fantasy game to contrive situations in which an archmage rescues a cat from a tree by climbing a ladder rather than levitating up or teleporting the cat down. Or to put it another way - my main problem with the 15-minute day in Rolemaster is aesthetic, not balance (although balance is also an issue) - and it is not a solution to post aesthetically unappealing alternatives, like archmages climbing ladders and being bossed around by functionaries whom they could incinerate at will.

I didn't have the 15MAD problem in 3E, nor the caster problem. But I can see where others are coming from. You admit that the stakes must be high enough. But how far do you push this? You can't force the players to believe that the stakes are high enough as that would be railroading. So they could decide, as a group even, that none of your stakes are important to them, that their desire to nova/rest/repeat is greater than any stakes you place on them. The system allows them to do this. What is the ultimate end to this game of chicken? The damsel dies? So what, we nova/rest/repeat. A powerful godling is released? So what, he seems nice enough, we nova/rest/repeat. You took too long to respond, now the world is destroyed, the end. There is nothing stopping a group of players from doing the 15MAD if that is what they are determined to do. And when you blow up the world as DM, I'm pretty sure all involved will be left dissatisfied.
I think I posted something similar to this upthread. To cure the 15-minute adventuring day by raising the stakes presupposes that the players (i) care about the stakes, and (ii) have the mechanical capacity to respond.

But if (i) obtains, then as VB points out problems arise - if the players really are invested in saving the princess, are you as GM really going to kill her offscreen in order to "punish" your players for nova-ing their spellcasters? In a certain sort of sandbox approach, that might be tenable. But there are a number of other approaches for which it is not - for which there is an expectation that, if the players care about it, then their PCs will be part of it.

As for (ii), that goes to the point I made earlier - to what extent is the player of a spellcaster expected to play well below maximum capacity now, in order to avoid the need for rest later. There are any number of answers to this question, reflecting a wide range of playstyles and approaches to the game. In my view, though, there is certainly a tension in both wanting a player to by highly emotinally invested in a scene, and expecting the player to play his/her PC well below capacity in that scene. I'm not saying that there aren't ways of managing or even dissolving that tension - but, again, these will vary widely across playstyles, and even the social dynamics of particular groups.

If they choose not to save the damsel, then she dies, yes. And then we get to see what happens after that--maybe the townsfolk take it upon themselves to take care of the cultists. Maybe the local authority, (a Duke or something), hears of the cultists and sends a force to squash them. Perhaps a full blown war breaks out! Or, maybe nothing happens. Hell, the party could leave that part of the world and never return, so whats it to them? But that story continues, and that part of the world will be changed if the party ever deigns to revisit it.

And if the party chooses not to follow an adventuring lead, and the result is that the world is somehow destroyed? That would be an odd choice, I would think, since it would seem that the party missed out on the most interesting thing happening on their world there. At the very least, I would think both players and characters would want to avert such a thing, but if the world is destroyed, then so be it. Snakes on a plane.

There are other worlds. Roll 4d6 and drop the lowest.
And then what? Rinse and repeat? That might be one possible approach to play, but hardly the only one that is, in principle, coherent and viable.

If meaningful choice is given, system mastery will be rewarded.
This isn't true at all. HeroWars/Quest permits meaningful choice in character building, but it doesn't reward system mastery. Because the dimension of meaning is not mechanical victory, but rather the thematic content of play.

In my view Rolemaster also aims at this - that character building will be rewarded not in a mechanicaly better or worse PC, but rather by shaping the PC that one wants to play - although it probably is not as successful as is HeroWars/Quest.

First off, casters have a limited selection of spells at their disposal at anyone time, especially arcane casters.

<snip>

Casters have a limit on spells per day
Everyone always recognized the spells that would make a rogue obsolete, however the mages never took those spells because it was not a sacrifice they were willing to make. Ever it seems. If you could spontaneously cast Utility spells like find traps, that would be a major problem. I ahve yet to meet a cleric player actually cast find traps.
What you describe here makes sense for me in relation to AD&D play.

But in 3E even low level casters can easily make wands and scrolls. Wands will tend to ensure they don't run out of spells. And scrolls will tend to ensure that they have ready access to a much wider range of spells than those memorised.

Does either of you use any particular techniques to control the proliferation of wands and scrolls in your games?

Hussar

Legend
[MENTION=6668292]JamesonCourage[/MENTION]

Originally Posted by Beginning of the End View Post
The 15MAD/early-onset-LFQW is only a problem in a very specific and very narrow and very inflexible style of play.

There, now isn't this pretty much WORD FOR WORD what I've been saying has been argued in this thread?

Remove ads