D&D 5E Caster items in Tasha's, a very good start.

I think I will let players have a separate pool of attunement slots for tattoos. (same amount).
Will probably make them permanent when applied however. No turning back into a needle.

I like magic tattoos. "Might" even let CON mod add to number of tattoos.

Will evaluate....
The original UA had all tattoos as a single attunement, with the amount of limbs\torso taken up serving as the limiting factor to how many you can have.

I think that was a much better system (& without it, the limbs covered limitations are a weird annoyingly irrelevant vestige). On DnDBeyond, I just created a "Tattoo Attunement" item to indicate the attunement slot used.

I would use the UA version of tattoo attunement, & make them permanent; although some disappear on a single use. (Spell Tattoos are effectively just a more-expensive Spell Scroll that any creature can use.) I'd probably accept Remove Curse or a similar effect, as returning a permanent magic tattoo to needle form.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
The original UA had all tattoos as a single attunement, with the amount of limbs\torso taken up serving as the limiting factor to how many you can have.

I think that was a much better system (& without it, the limbs covered limitations are a weird annoyingly irrelevant vestige).
I can see this turning into a problem if your PC loses a limb, though. Or doesn't have the expected number to begin with, for whatever reason.

Well sure, but losing a limb presents lots of problems, usually alleviated with a prosthetic (which the attunement requirement for was recently removed). Aaand what they've done instead of the UA is not better, with regard to fewer limbs: Each tattoo still requires a specific limb or region of the body & some take the entire torso.

That part hasn't changed, all they did was remove the UA's workaround for the 3 attunement limit.

Remove ads