D&D Movie/TV Casting Begins Soon For D&D Movie?

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

drizzt-do-urden-dungeons-and-dragons.jpg

There's a few tidbits to be gleaned from the article:
  • Paramount is looking at A-listers for the male lead
  • The new draft of the script is by Michael Gillio
  • The director is no longer involved, and the studio is looking for a new one
There has been plenty of news, speculation, rumour, and more about this movie over the last few years; in fact, I've been covering the various rumours for at least 5 years!

Or I'm more critical of movies than other people are.

I don't know why that isn't acceptable. I dislike most movies. I'm an outlier. I'm well aware of this. Regardless of your "objective" data. In my experience, movies I like vs movies I don't rarely is production cost a factor.

Hussar

Legend
Or I'm more critical of movies than other people are.

I don't know why that isn't acceptable. I dislike most movies. I'm an outlier. I'm well aware of this. Regardless of your "objective" data. In my experience, movies I like vs movies I don't rarely is production cost a factor.

So, we're back to "I like it, therefore it's good". While that's great for you and all, it doesn't really help anyone else. So, if your notion of good only really means, "stuff I like", then blanket statements about the cost of movies vs their quality don't really hold up at all do they?

It's kind of pointless discussion. By it's very nature a D&D movie is not going to be what critics would call a "good" movie. If it was it wouldn't be faithful to the source martial, and thus, by the laws of paradox, would not be "good".

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
It's kind of pointless discussion. By it's very nature a D&D movie is not going to be what critics would call a "good" movie. If it was it wouldn't be faithful to the source martial, and thus, by the laws of paradox, would not be "good".

I don’t think that’s true. Pirates of the Caribbean was based on an amusement ride and I, along with many others, expected it to be terrible. Instead it was a smashing success (which I also enjoyed very much). Not saying it’s easy to pull off, but good movies can come from questionable sources.

I don’t think that’s true. Pirates of the Caribbean was based on an amusement ride and I, along with many others, expected it to be terrible. Instead it was a smashing success (which I also enjoyed very much). Not saying it’s easy to pull off, but good movies can come from questionable sources.

You aren't really getting the point. Pirates of the Caribbean is an entertaining film. It's isn't what critics would consider a "good" film because it doesn't aspire to be anything more than merely entertaining.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
You aren't really getting the point. Pirates of the Caribbean is an entertaining film. It's isn't what critics would consider a "good" film because it doesn't aspire to be anything more than merely entertaining.

I guess I overlooked that you narrowed the discussion down to what professional critics consider "good" rather than what the general consensus is. :) But I agree with your overall point , this is a pointless discussion.

Traycor

Explorer
This article credits Screenrant, but they are just sourcing it from an exclusive from ThatHashtagShow.

While a script for the film was apparently turned in late last month, notice the timing compared to the Vox Machina Kickstarter. The Kickstarter gets going on the 4th, then ThatHashtagShow puts out their story on the 12th, 8 days later. They were probably reporting on events that were several days old. Vox Machina became the highest funded film project in Kickstarter history on March 7th.

I think this film project was rushed into the casting phase because of the success of the Kickstarter. Hollywood is typically reactionary in this way to grab whatever is hot.

They have no director, but they are trying to attach a big lead to help secure a director. Especially if they want to start production in late summer/early fall (3 to 5 months away!) they are fast tracking this big time. That info means they are getting a director and a big lead come hell or high water. This is a major priority for the studio. On that tight of a time frame, they'll need to start hiring crew and building sets asap.

For those that think Hollywood doesn't care about Vox Machina, I can guarantee you that every studio head is well aware of a highest funded film project in Kickstarter history. There is really no other explanation for the sudden rush.

So, we're back to "I like it, therefore it's good". While that's great for you and all, it doesn't really help anyone else. So, if your notion of good only really means, "stuff I like", then blanket statements about the cost of movies vs their quality don't really hold up at all do they?

"Hold up?" I can only express opinions that "Hold Up"? WTF and give me break. There is no f---ing burden of proof on anything said when one is not claiming some form of universal truth. I said "expensive and good are orthogonal in movies". I didn't say "it is a stone cold fact that expensive and good are orthogonal in movies and anyone who disagrees is an idiot."

Not so fast. According Hussar, good is objective, not subjective.

No, no, no. Good is objective. And since Rotten Tomatoes gave it a critics score of 79% (aka Fresh) and 86% of people liked it (giving it 3.5 stars or better), Pirates of the Caribbean is a GOOD film. Your opinion is unimportant. The critics and the people have spoken. PotC is objectively a GOOD film. There can be no dissension.

Have I learned my lesson?

Traycor

Explorer
I could be reading too much into semantics here, but the reference to a singular “male lead” might indicate that this is not a Dragonlance movie.

No idea what movie they are making, but Tanis would be the male lead of a Dragonlance film. Just like Starlord is the lead of Guardians of the Galaxy, despite that being an ensemble film, or Wolverine being the lead in the X-Men movies.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases