Castle Ravenloft boardgame questions ...

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I thought it was too easy the first game. But, then, the PCs rarely missed in their attacks.

In our 2nd game, we couldn't hit even half the time, and lost relatively quickly.

For the Treasure:
We returned any initial treasures that were not items to the deck. I thought this was a rule, but I can't find it right now in the book.

Re: other scenarios, WotC did publish one, but I don't have a link handy. It is on the site someplace, but is not easy to find, as I recall.

Samurai

Adventurer
I am looking forward to replacing the monochrome minis with painted minis from my collection. I have all of them except (obviously) those that haven't actually been released in prepainted sets. I think it will increase the appeal of an already visually striking game, and I think game stores would do well to encourage playing in their publicly accessible tables.

Part of the reason I bought the game is to paint the minis that came in it!

Is anyone else doing this? Maybe we should post some pictures as we do them...

Frostmarrow

First Post
We played our first session last night, Scenario #2, and had a good time. It appears we have most of the rules down correctly, we even remembered to activate the monsters. In fact I think we activated them during every Villain phase for every player.

The rules on how players got a monster in their "hand" were unclear, so we just assumed it was whoever activated that monster controlled it until destroyed, which makes sense since this is a co operative game, with no DM or controller.

Since there were 5 of us we got through the scenario without using a healing surge and one player got down to 2 or 3 hit points.

Is there a website somewhere where even more scenarios are available? Fan made or WOTC made?

I think we are definitely going to play this regularly, and I am already looking forward to seeing what they do in the expansions. Like will we be able to go down or up the stairs? Will we be able to open the coffins, etc...?

You can get some unofficial stuff here: Dungeons & Dragons Castle Ravenloft Adventure Database | BoardGameGeek

Note that if you kill a monster during your turn, you discard a monster card of the corresponding type from your hand. Regardless of which actual monster you kill. If you don't hold a card the first player to your right that does gets to discard his. If you activate one monster you activate every monster of the same type at the same time. If you happen to draw a monster card you already have you redraw.

Samurai

Adventurer
Part of the reason I bought the game is to paint the minis that came in it!

Is anyone else doing this? Maybe we should post some pictures as we do them...

I've finished the first few figures... the Flesh Golem (which really is an awesome figure!), the werewolf, and the 3 gargoyles.

DSC00255.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

Agamon

Adventurer
Okay, so I attended FallCon in Calgary this weekend, and they have an extensive game library to borrow games from to play. So, I decided to check out Castle Ravenloft with a couple buddies.

We barely started before it ended. We played the 2nd adventure, Find the Icon of Ravenloft. There's an encounter card that says something like "take the bottom dungeon tile from the stack and add it to the board closest to the active player." So we do that, which makes it our 3rd new tile, and the 1 in 4 chance of pulling the end game Temple room happens. My Cleric uses his daily, kills all the monsters on the tile, game over.

On the plus side, it doesn't have that drawn out, claw-at-your-eyes-it's-taking-so-long-to-finish game time that most of these kinds of games tend to have, but 10 minutes is a bit ridiculous. I understand that it was a random encounter that did it, but what is the point of burying the final room, only to have cards draw from the bottom of the stack. Silly. I played about 10 new board games at the con, and though I'm a D&D player, the experience from this one was bottom of the heap.

Treebore

First Post
Yes, if I remember correctly the earliest that tile should have been is the 7th tile. Or maybe it was as soon as the 5th. It certainly wasn't one of the first 4.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
The poster is making the (common) mistake of not using all of the dungeon tiles is the deck. I think this happens because the rules specify a number of tiles to pick to shuffle the target tile into, but never actually say, "The tile deck contains all the tiles. Drawing a tile from the bottom is thus a penalty, not a shortcut."

Remove ads