Ceramic DM - Spring 2005 (Late Bloomer) - Signups complete

alsih2o

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Because I'm pretty certain that I can find reading, critiquing, and judging time when it's needed.

I'm not so certain that I can find writing time. :)

I don't think you will find your way to judging this way.

I personally frown heavily on allowing anyone to judge who has not participated heavily. If you are not judging the only way to participate is by writing.

If you think judging takes significantly less time than writing you are sorely mistaken, and probably not ready to judge. Judging is doen after multiple reads of each story AND requires writing in and of itself. Writing about every story, which is twice as many finished pieces. 8,12 or 16 contestants in the opening round and the judges have to write a judgement on every one. No CDM author writes as much as a judge.

The exception to this being Maldur, who turns in intuitive, snap judgements and has been involved since Ceramic DM 1.

Berandor said:
So, if I may be so bold, why don't you read and comment to your leisure without being a judge?

I plan on doing that anyway!

It just so happened that the organizer thought he might need an extra judge on-hand for emergencies. The emergency judge became a real judge when the size of the contest expanded. It seems to me that keeping an emergency judge on-hand is still a good idea.

I didn't see anyone else offering, so I did.

I don't think you will find your way to judging this way.

I personally frown heavily on allowing anyone to judge who has not participated heavily. If you are not judging the only way to participate is by writing.

If you think judging takes significantly less time than writing you are sorely mistaken, and probably not ready to judge.

You are perfectly welcome to your opinion.

I do not appreciate the more personal aspersions you've decided to toss in, lacking any knowledge whatsoever of any qualifications I might possess.

When I write for fun, I take a *long* time. While I'm certain that speed writing contests could improve my skill (and I have participated in such in the past), they aren't as much fun for me as taking my own pace.

However, I currently work at a consulting firm, where I spend a lot of time as an editor of other people's work. I am often the "Go-to Guy" in the office when it is time to write something that gets submitted to the clients. I have been published - under the corporate name - in trade magazines.

In short, I'm not exactly a clueless newb when it comes to these things - and I thought "emergency judge" seemed like an excellent way to apply my own skills to a contest I otherwise would be unable to directly participate in.

So, for *me*, judging would most certainly take less time than writing for the contest - and, actually, I kinda sorry I volunteered.

That being said, I'll still kibosh when the actual participants post their tales.

yangnome

First Post
Look forward to seeing your comments Patryn. I've only done this once, and was knocked out in teh first round, but I really would have liked to see more comments on my work.

mythago

Hero

I do not appreciate the more personal aspersions you've decided to toss in, lacking any knowledge whatsoever of any qualifications I might possess.

Am I reading the same post you are? I didn't see anyting about "aspersions" or "qualifications."

Though one of the more useful qualifications for either writer or judge is a thick skin.

Speaker

First Post
Friday, followed by wednesday works great.

It's been a while since I last wrote... all that creative potential stored up, waiting for the rusting seams to give way...

mythago said:

Am I reading the same post you are? I didn't see anyting about "aspersions" or "qualifications."

That would be explaining to me that I might need to read each entry more than once when judging, as well as intimating that I had no clue that judging may take some time, as well.

Obviously, I'm clueless, eh? :D

Naw, I'm just a much faster *judge* than I am a *writer*. As in, I write critical pieces much faster than I write creative pieces.

Though one of the more useful qualifications for either writer or judge is a thick skin.

On the other hand, one of the qualifications for being an organizer is the ability to politely say, "No thanks." I'd've accepted that.

And, anyway, like I said, I'll still be reading the stories as they're posted and participating in the discussion.

mythago

Hero
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
That would be explaining to me that I might need to read each entry more than once when judging, as well as intimating that I had no clue that judging may take some time, as well.

No, you *inferred* that you were being told you were "clueless" and a "newb," terms which appeared nowhere in the original post. You also decided to infer that you were being personally insulted and that your ability to judge competition entries was being denigrated, something that also was never said.

You didn't state any qualifications when you volunteered. You haven't participated in Ceramic DM before. All that you really stated was your willingness to help out, which is very nice, but followed with the misconception that it takes less time to judge these things than write. alsih2o, having done both rather extensively, disagreed.

It's great to jump in and add to the ambience with commentary, but getting snippy because you didn't feel you were refused graciously enough, and then reading all kinds of insults into the refusal, is pretty ridiculous.

Berandor

lunatic
In the everlasting words of Keanu Reeves: Whoa!

Can we come back to the contest, and to contestants insulting each other in trash-talk? That's just so much more fun!

:)

Firelance, get ready for a cold shower that will douse your fire and shrink your... ahem... lance. ;)

Hellefire

First Post
Berandor,

It's a pity you are on the wrong side of Germany. I will be heading back to Europe with my Polish girlfriend and our baby in a few months. There we live in Poznan, about center between Berlin and Warsaw.

I had hoped we could get together and share a pint while admiring my CDM trophy. Loser buys, right?

Aaron

Berandor

lunatic
There's a trophy now? :eek:

How about when we meet, we write our entries in German, Hellefire? ;) And MacBeth already nicknamed me "Beer and Door"...

Remove ads