• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CG vs. LE

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
VirgilCaine said:

If you watch Seasme Street (I have a 17 month old, who we permit to watch TV for two hours/day), you will see conflict. Almost all of that conflict is Person A doing something innocent that makes Person B uncomfortable. It is resolved when Person B explains their feelings to Person A. Person A is typically presented as doing things the way they've always been done and Person B would like things done differently. All motives are pure and selfless.

It's pretty much Lawful Good vs Neutral Good the whole time. Every now and then they get all deep and delve into the sordid pit of moral relativism and Chaotic Good is tossed into the fray.

joshwitz

First Post
Good, Bad, and the Ugly!!

"The Good, The Bad and The Ugly", besides being one of my favorite movies, is also a great example of D&D alignments in the movies.

"The Bad": Lee Van Clef as Angel Eyes is one of the best examples of LE in the movies. From the very first scene where he kills a man because "he always completes a job he's paid for" you see that he has a code of ethics, but they're evil. It's also not surprising that he shows up later as the warden as an army prison camp. He's able to manipulate the laws of society to suit his own evil ends.

"The Ugly": Eli Wallach plays Tuco, the Rat, as a completely amoral CE character. He will stop at nothing, betray anyone to get his way. He lives large by stealing whatever he can, however he can. He's looking out for Tuco!

"The Good": Clint Eastwood's Blondie is a bit more ambigious. He's not really Good, but he does plenty of Good actions. And while at times he seems to have some moral code, he doesn't fit in society. He's also not above running cons with Tuco. I'd say he's CN.

JimAde

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:
If you watch Seasme Street (I have a 17 month old, who we permit to watch TV for two hours/day), you will see conflict. Almost all of that conflict is Person A doing something innocent that makes Person B uncomfortable. It is resolved when Person B explains their feelings to Person A. Person A is typically presented as doing things the way they've always been done and Person B would like things done differently. All motives are pure and selfless.

It's pretty much Lawful Good vs Neutral Good the whole time. Every now and then they get all deep and delve into the sordid pit of moral relativism and Chaotic Good is tossed into the fray.
I'd say some of the monsters qualify as Chaotic Good. :D

I think it's interesting how very few of the protagonists in these shows are considered Lawful. Even though most people obey the codes and laws of their cultures most of the time, we all think of ourselves as free spirits.

Star Trek TNG (when dealing with the Cardassians): LG vs. LE

Wanderer20

First Post
Hmm...

I'd see Blondie as a True Neutral. When he leaves Tuco in the desert he takes Tuco's part of the last bounty they collected but at the end of the movie he respects the pact Tuco would have violated more than once, by giving Tuco half of the treasure.

So one CN action and one LN action, I'd say he's somewhere in the middle

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmmm, the Fugitive - Neutral Good versus Lawful Neutral (yes, I'm Auld...). The Neutral Good Dr. Kimble helps people even though he is on the run, even when it increases his chance of being captured. The Lawful Neutral Lt. Gerard is pursuing him, not because he hates him, but because it is his job.

The Auld Grump

Gez

First Post
The Lord of the Rings: LG vs. LE. (The hobbits and Gandalf are NG, Sauron is NE, etc., but the two sides, overall, are LG and LE.)

Eolin

Explorer
Steve Jung said:
Les Miserables
Jean Valjean: CG or NG
Inspector Javert: LN

Javert is definetly LN. But he works for a LE society. And in a lot of ways, its the society versus Jean Valjean.

Or even, The Bishop versus Jean valJean. And that's LG versus CE. And its over within a hundrded pages.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads