D&D General Ch-Ch-Changes

All this discussion about people wanting change or not wanting change has me trying to do a little flashback and fortune telling about the changes in D&D over time. And the question I keep pondering is what aspect of D&D, 20 years from now, will still be the same? What might be different? I'll have a few that have been floating around:
Never Change = the core six attributes
Change = ASI's

So pick up that crystal ball and tell me what you see. Thanks. :)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
All this discussion about people wanting change or not wanting change has me trying to do a little flashback and fortune telling about the changes in D&D over time. And the question I keep pondering is what aspect of D&D, 20 years from now, will still be the same? What might be different? I'll have a few that have been floating around:
Never Change = the core six attributes
Change = ASI's

So pick up that crystal ball and tell me what you see. Thanks. :)

I agree about core attributes.

I don't know what "ASI" means.

I think the core classes and races (or legacies) will always be with us: Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue (and probably Rangers and Paladins and Druids, too). Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Humans.

Stormonu

Legend
Races and Classes as we know them now will become "packages" in the basic rules. The advanced rules will have ala mode/carte where you pick individual options to build the character.

Monster XP will vanish, it will become milestone-based advancement.

The Christmas tree PC will make a comeback.

Skills will be reduced to being Ability checks.

Abilities will be rolled into 3 basic abilities - Physical, Mental, Spirit.

The "Wizard" will still beat everyone else.

Oofta

Legend
Races and Classes as we know them now will become "packages" in the basic rules. The advanced rules will have ala mode/carte where you pick individual options to build the character.

Monster XP will vanish, it will become milestone-based advancement.

Skills will be reduced to being Ability checks.

Abilities will be rolled into 3 basic abilities - Physical, Mental, Spirit.

The "Wizard" will still beat everyone else.

And queue hohige hi-jacking the thread to talk about how sorcerers are infinitely better in 3 ... 2 ... hmm. Maybe I shouldn't curse it.

Faolyn

(she/her)
They'll keep races but get rid of subraces as mechanical differences. You get to pick and choose your options from a list.

Ditto for classes. They'll keep them, but all the abilities will be available at all levels, turning them into something akin to feat trees, but hopefully more open, with multiple options for prerequisites instead of a single chain.

They'll put more spells together, making smaller spell lists but with each spell having more options. Like the way Bigby's hand is now. You get a couple of fire-attack spells, but each of them lets you duplicate several different spells. Sometimes the options in the spells require you to cast them at different levels.

They still won't have psionics or artificers in the core books.

What's that?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases