Challenge: Shows that Deserved More than Four Seasons

Zardnaar

Legend
Ah excellent. Hopefully they bring more seasons to the UK.

It's on tenplay might need a VPN for it.

It's on our tvnz app which has a lot of good shows for free. Taskmaster and NZ one, Trek, Halo, Dr Who, Grand Designs and some British comedies.

Think we binge watched all of Red Dwarf on it season 1-12 and the movie.

Dioltach

Legend
Good point: Red Dwarf didn't really hit its stride until series 3, and series 5 and 6 were some of the best. "Gunmen of the Apocalypse" won an award for best sci-fi episode, if I'm not mistaken.

Zardnaar

Legend
Good point: Red Dwarf didn't really hit its stride until series 3, and series 5 and 6 were some of the best. "Gunmen of the Apocalypse" won an award for best sci-fi episode, if I'm not mistaken.

Yup season 5 and 6 were probably the best.

British though 3-4 seasons is like 1 season of US show.

And Red Dwarf 7-9 are rough.

Stalker0

Legend
SG1 peaked around season 3-7 ymmv.
I agree that ultimately SG1 does take a step down in Season 8+, but ultimately remained a pretty strong show.

I think we can all agree that certains shows shouldn't exist FOREVER, but certaintly more than 4 seasons. Also if we consider the fact that SG-1 has more old school episode counts per season, there is a LOT more SG-1 than there are a lot of modern shows.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I would argue that the number of episodes per season is more important to limit than the number of seasons. The classic American method of 23 episodes per season, is I think, the reason for so much dreck in the past, and the biggest reason why Cable/Streaming shows have often been better.

That said, your whole premise doesn't work for Star Trek TNG or DS9 - both of which weren't all that good (barring an episode or two) until their later seasons. Meanwhile, I think that the 22-23 episodes that their season had explains why we got a few terrible stinkers in those final seasons.

Either way, I actually DO agree with the basis of your premise. Give me 40 good episodes. Never bother with 150+ episodes with 40 good ones littered throughout.

Zardnaar

Legend
I agree that ultimately SG1 does take a step down in Season 8+, but ultimately remained a pretty strong show.

I think we can all agree that certains shows shouldn't exist FOREVER, but certaintly more than 4 seasons. Also if we consider the fact that SG-1 has more old school episode counts per season, there is a LOT more SG-1 than there are a lot of modern shows.

Atlantis is probably my favorite. Very few dud episodes fairly consistent start to finish. And finished tosoon needed another season or 2.

Remove ads