• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changeover poll

Changeover Edition to Edition of D&D Poll

• Complete Changeover: All 4E played now, no earlier editions of D&D

Votes: 179 31.7%
  • Largely over: Mostly 4E played now, some earlier edition play

Votes: 61 10.8%
  • Half over: Half 4E played now, half earlier edition play

Votes: 38 6.7%
  • Partial Changeover: Some 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Slight Changeover: A little 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play

Votes: 35 6.2%
  • No Change: Tried 4E, went back to earlier edition play

Votes: 83 14.7%
  • No Change: Never tried 4E, all earlier edition play

Votes: 154 27.3%

Dragon Snack

First Post
Ha Ha! I get quoted, but somehow I started "it". That's awesome.

Wait, are we having an "it"? Sorry, I'm not, I'll stick to a discussion...

It was already discussed as to why the poll has relevence pages ago, so I see no need to rehash that. But since you drew me into conversation, I ask:

Why must you discredit this particular poll? Do you disagree with it's findings or just it's methodology? If the latter, how do you propose we obtain better results (beyond a new, public, poll)?

BTW - it isn't that hard to see how many times you posted in the thread (now 7 out of 162 posts), they're all on the last 2 pages...

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
This poll has no meaning, until it is compared with another poll exactly like it, on ENWorld, at another time.
There must be something to compare to, and I meant this poll as that comparison. So, when I create a poll a year from now, I can compare it to this poll, and make conclusions then on the results.

Note that even then, it is only relevant as regarding ENWorld itself, not anywhere else. I can only say that 'ENWorlders voted that way in that poll, and now they've voted this way in this poll' after that second poll a year from now.

I have now established the results of the first poll, and that is what I wanted to do. These results are 37/14/49. I guess you could call the results the 'control group' and the results of later polls the 'research group.'

cangrejoide

First Post
Ha Ha! I get quoted, but somehow I started "it". That's awesome.

Wait, are we having an "it"? Sorry, I'm not, I'll stick to a discussion...

Your perspective on the events that transpired seem askew.

It was already discussed as to why the poll has relevence pages ago, so I see no need to rehash that. But since you drew me into conversation, I ask:

Actually I just asked you:

And who says WOTC did?

Why must you discredit this particular poll? Do you disagree with it's findings or just it's methodology? If the latter, how do you propose we obtain better results (beyond a new, public, poll)?...

Well since you took time out to count and check all my posts, you should have read them as well.

I disagree with the methodology ,also it was proven you could vote more than once. Hence: You cannot obtain better results unless you have a new poll with better measures of control.

BTW - it isn't that hard to see how many times you posted in the thread (now 7 out of 162 posts), they're all on the last 2 pages...

I guess this one makes it 8 out of 163, so write up in your conspiracy notebook.

Felix

Explorer
I disagree with the methodology ,also it was proven you could vote more than once.
With this proven flaw, which way do you suspect the results are skewed?

Hence: You cannot obtain better results unless you have a new poll with better measures of control.
Ah: "Do it better." How do you suspect the results of a "better" poll would compare to this one? Please hypothesize for us.

TheSleepyKing

First Post
I disagree with the methodology ,also it was proven you could vote more than once. Hence: You cannot obtain better results unless you have a new poll with better measures of control.

I don’t think the poll is meaningless or worthless. It tells us, out of all ENworld readers who cared to respond to the poll, this is the proportion who have and who haven’t moved to 4e. Judgements on how much ENworld represents the RPG community as a whole may make the poll more or less useful in your eyes, but the poll isn’t inaccurate.

There’s been no evidence of vote rigging, only the proposition that it’s theoretically possible. If there had been vote rigging, there would be a) more responses and b) less consistent results over the life of the poll. In fact, the poll results seem very consistent from its inception until now, with no major spikes one way or the other. (Also, I can't for the life of me understand why somebody would rig the results.)

What I think we are getting from a lot of responders here is a certain amount of cognitive dissonance. As in “I can’t believe that many people don’t agree with me! The poll must therefore be wrong.” As I said, I don’t know how well the poll represents the public at large, but it seems a pretty accurate gauge of feeling here at ENworld.

cangrejoide

First Post
With this proven flaw, which way do you suspect the results are skewed?.

I dont suspect anything, I just stated a fact that the poll could be rigged, that notion alone invalidates all the results be they true or false to the actual reality.

Ah: "Do it better." How do you suspect the results of a "better" poll would compare to this one? Please hypothesize for us.

No more hypothesizing, we have had enough of that in this thread.

I don’t think the poll is meaningless or worthless. It tells us, out of all ENworld readers who cared to respond to the poll, this is the proportion who have and who haven’t moved to 4e. Judgements on how much ENworld represents the RPG community as a whole may make the poll more or less useful in your eyes, but the poll isn’t inaccurate.

There’s been no evidence of vote rigging, only the proposition that it’s theoretically possible. If there had been vote rigging, there would be a) more responses and b) less consistent results over the life of the poll. In fact, the poll results seem very consistent from its inception until now, with no major spikes one way or the other. (Also, I can't for the life of me understand why somebody would rig the results.).

You are free to have your opinion of the results.

What I think we are getting from a lot of responders here is a certain amount of cognitive dissonance. As in “I can’t believe that many people don’t agree with me! The poll must therefore be wrong.” As I said, I don’t know how well the poll represents the public at large, but it seems a pretty accurate gauge of feeling here at ENworld.

You say accuracy, I say bogus results.

Regardless of the results ( be they pro or con), if there is any doubt about the veracity of the poll, the results can't be trusted. If you were to make a descision based on poll results and was warned that the poll could be easily manipulated but no one had admited to it, would you trust the results then?

Someone in this thread suggested having a non-anonymus poll. That maybe more reasonable aproach to avoid poll rigging.

And as for your comment "I can’t believe that many people don’t agree with me! The poll must therefore be wrong.” the same could be said both ways.

PS: For those keeping score that's 9 out of 167.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads