• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changeover poll

Changeover Edition to Edition of D&D Poll

• Complete Changeover: All 4E played now, no earlier editions of D&D

Votes: 179 31.7%
  • Largely over: Mostly 4E played now, some earlier edition play

Votes: 61 10.8%
  • Half over: Half 4E played now, half earlier edition play

Votes: 38 6.7%
  • Partial Changeover: Some 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Slight Changeover: A little 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play

Votes: 35 6.2%
  • No Change: Tried 4E, went back to earlier edition play

Votes: 83 14.7%
  • No Change: Never tried 4E, all earlier edition play

Votes: 154 27.3%

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
This is a poll concerning whether you changed over from earlier editions of D&D to 4th edition D&D (this is not an Edition Wars thread.)
There is no need to post, just vote in the poll if you would like.
I am curious as to the results. Very curious indeed.

Edena_of_Neith

wedgeski

Adventurer
I have one longstanding, infrequently-played Dragonlance campaign that will probably remain in 3.5, but my most regular gaming is now in 4E, and we're loving it.

sjmiller

Explorer
I voted that we have not played 4e and are going to be playing an earlier edition. I read through 4e and found I did not like it and would not run it. A couple of others have skimmed 4e and none of them are interested. Since I am the only one willing to run a game right now, that means we will not be moving to 4e.

vazanar

First Post
Well, it's summer..... what's D&D? The few games we've played the last month or two have been 4e. I think we will finish Rise of the Runelords/Age of Worms mix in 3.5. Then the group seems to want to go 4e for our homebrew, Crimson Throne, and eventually return to Iron Kingdoms high seas.

kenobi65

First Post
I voted for "slight changeover"...but it's more complicated than that. :)

I'm in a number of different groups.

One group is a very casual group, and we're currently playing Keep on the Shadowfell (and enjoying it quite a lot).

Two groups are in the midst of 3.5 campaigns, and we'll be sticking with 3.5 at least until those campaigns end. One of those campaigns will likely end late this year or early next; the other one will likely be ongoing for several years still (we're in Age of Worms, only on the 5th adventure, and we don't play very often).

The last group plays a variety of campaigns; we may try 4E, but I suspect we'll stay primarily with 3.5 with that group for some time.

Ratio

The initial ratio at launch of 55% for 4e v. 45% for earlier editions seems to be holding.

Actually, right now, it's:
- 48% 4e
- 7% mixed
- 44% earlier edition
This assumes that what people are playing and what they like are essentially the same thing.

I predicted more will change to 4e over time -- a month is not enough, it would seem.

Most interesting are the 7% in the middle. That seems like a small number of "undecided voters". Will their numbers increase gradually (it seems inevitable since the earlier editions are out of print) and will they then move more towards 4e (I think some will, but TBD on how many)?

If the 55/45 holds for a significant period (e.g., 6 months to a year), I wonder what WOTC will do?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads