• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changeover poll

Changeover Edition to Edition of D&D Poll

• Complete Changeover: All 4E played now, no earlier editions of D&D

Votes: 179 31.7%
  • Largely over: Mostly 4E played now, some earlier edition play

Votes: 61 10.8%
  • Half over: Half 4E played now, half earlier edition play

Votes: 38 6.7%
  • Partial Changeover: Some 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Slight Changeover: A little 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play

Votes: 35 6.2%
  • No Change: Tried 4E, went back to earlier edition play

Votes: 83 14.7%
  • No Change: Never tried 4E, all earlier edition play

Votes: 154 27.3%

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Did I say that the poll was statistically valid? Did I say that the sample size was sufficient to make marketing decisions?

No. I merely made an observation.

If- and that's a big if- numbers like the poll's hold up over time, that would be bad news for WotC.

a month is not enough, it would seem.
No, it is definitely not enough. In my group, everyone bought the books, and we all want to play - we were anticipating at least since we got the Races & Classes and World & Monsters books. But, we also have a Torg campaign (just started), we had 3 D&D 3.5 campaigns (adventure paths) and had an Iron Heroes campaign.
My IH campaign is off and I am now running KotS (and will also run the follow-ups)
One of the 3.5 campaign (Savage Tides) is being converted to 4E - our first session will be tomorrow (finally, I get to play D&D 4!)
And the remaining two I don't know, but I don't expect it to be happening soon.

So we might actually play 3.5 for several months, even though we otherwise are definitely pro-4E and won't start any more 3.5 campaigns! It is hard (and often undesirable) to change mid-campaign. We did it with Savage Tides only because the DM felt tired with mastering 3.5 at that level (~10-11), and the previous switch to Pathfinder didn't change anything.

And we hopefully won't have to give up our Torg campaign. Torg cannot be substituted by D&D, regardless of edition. It stands on its own. ;)

After several months of anticipation, we've had "only" 1 real game of D&D 4. I wouldn't be surprised if it's even harder for other groups - not everyone has weekly sessions. (Actually, even we sometimes get that done, especially since a few of us work further outside and have night and week-end shifts)

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Well, my halfling campaign finished up a month or two ago (maybe three now?), and my epic game campaign finished up this last Monday. That group (both groups = one set of players) is now launching 4e; we played a short session Monday after finishing the epic campaign and making characters.

My 'beta' group is currently playing Red Hand of Doom, and is just finishing part 1. The party consists of a gnomish illusionist, a monk and a druid/wizard- hardly promising for converting to 4e at this stage of the game. So we're staying 3.5 to finish out RHoD, which might take a while (or might end in a tpk, you never know).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My group is in no rush. We'll probably poke around with it in August, and decide what we'll do from there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads