• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Changes with Equipment, Weapons, Armor.

Still need to fix the problem that now there's no reason to take Splint Mail when there's Banded with better performance at the same price -- since no classes have heavy armor proficiency that don't also have medium armor proficiency. Either Splint should be much cheaper than Banded, or Banded should be less capable, or Splint more so.

Warbringer

Explorer
There are only really 3 variables here; AC, dex, disadvantage stealth (speed, meh). So, either there is lots of crowding, or you have bizarre (interesting?) combinations, or make it more than dex, no dex, dex (max 2).

Splint is iconic (though I have no idea what it is :)) dragon studded leather, not so much.

I think the dex (max 2) has to go to become (max 1) and (max 3) and open up a little design space in the "medium"

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
So why would a character choose a buckler over a shield, except to save the weight?

EDIT:
With the Shield Master feat, one could use a buckler as a light weapon, and do two-weapon fighting. It's really better to just take dual-wielder, in that case. Indeed, who benefits by being a shield master?

Last edited:

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
We did some playtesting today, and we discovered a couple things.

First, one of the backgrounds references a sap, but no such weapon could be found (I ruled it was a light finesse weapon that does 1d6 bludgeoning).

Second, the cleric no longer has a suggested equipment package. It used to be tied to deity, but now that those have been replaced with domains chosen at second level, equipment seems to have been overlooked.

Klaus

First Post
I see your point. (To be honest, it was kinda a toss-together idea.)

Maybe just remove Splint?

Splint and Banded should be the same armor. I'd even roll them into the Half-Plate category (metal plates -- whether horizontal, vertical or solid -- covering vital parts, with leather or chainmail covering joints).

"Studded Leather" should just be rolled into Leather Armor, with the boiled-leather type rolled into Hide Armor.

I'd go with:

Cloth/Padded Armor
Leather Armor
Ring Mail

Hide Armor/Brigandine
Chain Shirt
Breastplate
Scale Mail

Chaimail
Half-Plate
Full Plate

Voidrunner's Codex