D&D 5E Changing Character Mid-Campaign

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I am actually saying he should keep his Cleric and agree to help his party through healing. That is the Cleric's primary job! Everyone in the party has an important role to play. He should accept his very important role.
Bull. Back in earlier editions that was true that a cleric was required as a healer. It's not in 5e.

If he had picked a fighter no one would be asking him to heal. It seems no one in this group decided to play a healer. That's not on the OPs shoulders.

Now, if the other players heard he was playing a cleric and just assumed, it's on them. And narrow thinking that the a cleric must be a healer is what contributes to that sort of mistake.

akr71

Hero
Bull. Back in earlier editions that was true that a cleric was required as a healer. It's not in 5e.

If he had picked a fighter no one would be asking him to heal. It seems no one in this group decided to play a healer. That's not on the OPs shoulders.

Now, if the other players heard he was playing a cleric and just assumed, it's on them. And narrow thinking that the a cleric must be a healer is what contributes to that sort of mistake.
I agree. Not only that, but the Tempest Cleric should have been a dead give-away that the player wants to get into the front lines and get their hands dirty.

To the OP, have you considered multiclassing with your current character? I could see Barbarian (Storm Herald) or a Storm Sorcerer being a fun combo - something that gives you a chance to do more thunder/lightning damage.

Also, in my opinion, creating a new character is [almost] never unacceptable. That last thing I want at my table is a player who is not happy playing their character.

Last edited:

And if I change classes and my entire party dies, I wont feel responsible because I never signed up to be nobody's babysitter. The group has a monk, a fighter, a sorcerer and a thief. The moment we started the campaign I told them that my Cleric was Damage-focused. The heals should be "emergency-only" situations. But the way they build their Characters, they simply ignored self-sustain and kept asking me to heal. The DM also brought up that "Curse of Strahd is a hard and merciless camapaign, everybody should have ways to heal themselves"... I was the only one that really heard him and Im probably the only one that is feeling bored of their own character. FML haha
If you really dislike healing, I'd recommend not a Paladin. They have access to healing spells and so there is a chance that the party would just expect you to carry on doing the same thing, just worse.

Your DM can either nerf the encounters, if a completely DPS-focused group with no support is having issues dealing with them, or simply allow the PC deaths and let the campaign founder like it did before.

You''ll definitely need to discuss it with your DM, to see if they will let you change, but I'd also suggest telling the rest of the players as well. If they are aware that they will be losing your support capability, some of them may choose to create new characters as well, and it will be easier to bring in new characters at the same time.

werecorpse

Adventurer
Dausuul has it right. Paladin fits what you are after. His other suggestions are good too.

Also you could look at Barbarian, they don’t need to be healed as much.

Though ime d&d (including 5e) works best as a cooperative game and one with no healer is as problematic for most groups as one with no melee fighters. The real problem is not that you are playing a healer it’s that you are the only healer. If the game forces you to play that role due to the other classes and the types of encounters that can suck. A solution might be for the other classes to buff their healing maybe take some levels in healing classes - monk/cleric or druid?

But I absolutely agree you shouldn’t have to play a character you don’t enjoy

Last edited:

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Storm Herald Barbarian is a fun option.

If you can multi class they go well together. Otherwise start one from scratch!

aco175

Legend
Maybe switch to cleric of light and throw some fireballs. Not a big fighter type, but cool to play in the rear. You could also start to multiclass and pick up some levels of fighter. The other may get the hint and pick up a few levels of cleric.

Have you talked to the DM and other players about swapping. Others may want to swap around as well and your group sounds like it comes and goes with ease and may only be able to play for a few more levels before stopping again.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I took over a character in Out of the Abyss who was a level four Life Cleric. The other PC's constantly asked me to heal them. I hated it. I had almost no choices during combat.

Having no agency in D&D was extremely NOT FUN.

So I started a new character. They all complained that I would get their characters killed.

Then they bought healing potions and no PC ever died.

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
Well, quick update: The DM decided not to continue the Curse of Stradh campaign. Instead, he will choose a new campaign. So the players are gonna create brand new players lvl1.
On that note, Im leaning towards playing a Rogue!
Which archetype and Race do you guys suggest?

Dausuul

Legend
On that note, Im leaning towards playing a Rogue!
Which archetype and Race do you guys suggest?
Based on your stated preferences, my vote is for assassin. You like dishing out big damage, and assassins offer the most damage output of any rogue subclass. (You don't have to worry about the social and exploration pillars - all rogues are top-notch at both, regardless of subclass.)

As for race: If it's allowed in your game, your highest-damage option is variant human with the Sentinel feat. It gives you a bunch of ways to make out-of-turn attacks, which means you can Sneak Attack twice per round instead of once.

Other options include half-elf (extra skills, good stat boosts); drow (a smattering of handy spells, and sets you up for the Elven Accuracy feat at 4th level); and lightfoot halfling (helps you hide, sets you up for the Second Chance feat at 4th level).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases