Chaos and Law are IN!


log in or register to remove this ad


the Jester

Legend
RyukenAngel said:
Care to cite a line or page portion?

-edit-
Found it. Statblock.

Yeah, the 'alignment' line in all the gnoll entries says Chaotic evil.

I know we'll see less emphasis of law and chaos in 4e; heck, we'll see less influence of alignment in general. I'm glad to see that law and chaos remain in the core, though.
 


mach1.9pants

Adventurer
So I guess now the question is: Is there just Lawful and Chaotic (in the same way there is Good and Evil) as alignments or do Lawful and Chaotic only come appended to Good or Evil?
I mean is there still Lawful Neutral and Chaotic Neutral, in 3E speak?
 


Atlatl Jones

Explorer
mach1.9pants said:
So I guess now the question is: Is there just Lawful and Chaotic (in the same way there is Good and Evil) as alignments or do Lawful and Chaotic only come appended to Good or Evil?
I mean is there still Lawful Neutral and Chaotic Neutral, in 3E speak?
I would think that those would just be called Lawful and Chaotic.
 

ChaosShard

Explorer
mach1.9pants said:
So I guess now the question is: Is there just Lawful and Chaotic (in the same way there is Good and Evil) as alignments or do Lawful and Chaotic only come appended to Good or Evil?
I mean is there still Lawful Neutral and Chaotic Neutral, in 3E speak?

My guess:

Any alignment + neutral becomes "alignment", because neutral is gone and replaced by the void of 'unaligned'. this means the new Pit Fiend would be NE under the previous editions where he's now just Evil. That would make a LN character Lawful, a CN character Chaotic, etc...
 

themilkman

First Post
I hope that Neutral stays in. And when I say Neutral, I mean "a philosophical opposition to either (or any) extreme." Before, Neutral was in the uncomfortable position of representing two different alignments--a dedication to maintaining the middle road or a total lack of concern with law/chaos/good/evil. Now we have Unaligned to express the latter, so Neutral can mean what it is supposed to mean.

Maybe that is too complicated for some folks, but I like it anyway.
 

hong

WotC's bitch
Wolfspider said:
Wow. There is actually a monster role called "artillery"?!?

That sure disrupts my suspension of disbelief.
Pish tosh. If you can handle a monster stat called "saving throw", you can handle a monster stat called "artillery".
 

Wolfspider

First Post
hong said:
Pish tosh. If you can handle a monster stat called "saving throw", you can handle a monster stat called "artillery".

I don't know. It might send me into messy spasms of nerd rage. ;)

Seriously, though, that gnoll better better be carrying at the very least a ballista.... :]
 


mach1.9pants

Adventurer
I think I have been misunderstood. I agree that IF the 4E equivalent of LN and CN are in 4E they will be called just Lawful and just Chaotic. But will they be in? We have seen just Good, just Evil and Chaotic Evil. Maybe you can only have L or C if it is appended to Good or Evil. I mean is 4E alignment this:
G, LG, CG, E, LE, CE, unaligned?
OR this:
G, LG, CG, L, C, E, LE, CE, unaligned?

And that is leaving out the old 'True Neutral' anti-extreme alignment, I just can't see that being in but who knows?
 
Last edited:


the Jester

Legend
I hope "true neutral" is in as the alignment devoted to balance between extremes, as well as "unaligned" as the alignment of don't really think about it much.
 

hong

WotC's bitch
mach1.9pants said:
I think I have been misunderstood. I agree that IF the 4E equivalent of LN and CN are in 4E they will be called just Lawful and just Chaotic. But will they be in? We have seen just Good, just Evil and Chaotic Evil. Maybe you can only have L or C if it is appended to Good or Evil. I mean is 4E alignment this:
G, LG, CG, E, LE, CE, unaligned?
OR this:
G, LG, CG, L, C, E, LE, CE, unaligned?

And that is leaving out the old 'True Neutral' anti-extreme alignment, I just can't see that being in but who knows?
Someone else said it first; if you correlated Lawful/Good and Chaotic/Evil in this way, the spasms of nerd rage (messy or not) would be enough to fill multiverses. I'd say that the presence of CE almost mandates that LE, CG and LG must also be in.
 
Last edited:

MaelStorm

First Post
Anyone interested to know what is going on with alignments, listen to this podcasts, The Tome Show, interviews Sara Girard and Chris Perkins at D&D XP.

At 20:36 in the interview Chris Perkins is asked if Law and Chaos are still in the game, and the answer is yes but in a different way.

At 21:36 he continues by saying that they (alignments) are still there but they have no mechanical effect in the game and that they just give a story benefit.

At 22:50 he says that pretty much 90% of the person you meet in a city is unaligned and that there is no more detect alignment.
 
Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm glad to see that the forces of Order and Chaos have made it over to 4E. That makes my pantheon a lot easier to adapt to the new system.
 

mach1.9pants

Adventurer
hong said:
Someone else said it first; if you correlated Lawful/Good and Chaotic/Evil in this way, the spasms of nerd rage (messy or not) would be enough to fill multiverses. I'd say that the presence of CE almost mandates that LE, CG and LG must also be in.
Yep thats what I put BUT will their be just CHAOTIC (i.e. a 4E equivalent to CN) and just LAWFUL (i.e. a 4E equivalent to LN) in 4E? That is my question...
IMO: G, E, CG, LG, LE, CE, unaligned for sure are in
But are
1. L and C in?
2. How about N/TN?
 

Darth Cyric

First Post
I never got the impression the classic alignments would be left out. As long as they're no longer tied to mechanics, I'm fine with it.

Most of the silly alignment arguments at the table took place because players were afraid they might have to change their alignments away from that prescribed of a particular class. That's the crap 4e looks as if it's scrapping. Now that Paladins are no longer required to be lawful good by a narrow and highly subjective definition, instead of whether the Paladin is acting lawful good, the question can now be the more important, "Is the Paladin furthering the cause of his deity in a manner that his deity would not frown upon?"

It's not going to stop the nerd rage on Teh Internets, but I avoid alignment debate threads like the plague.
 
Last edited:

Dungeon Delver's Guide

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top