Character Builder - Is it portable?

vagabundo

Adventurer
I'm looking to bring the character builder into work and put it on my work computer, but it does not update through the proxy I have in work.

Can I copy the files from one computer to another? I've tried it, but it throws up a memory exception each time. I think the data is encrypted, maybe this is causing it.

If anyone has any suggestions about getting it to update through a proxy - I have tried proxycap - I'm all ears.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I've had no luck whatsoever getting it to work through a proxy. Very annoying, to be honest. Sorry I can't be more help, but thank-you for giving me the chance to have a moan about it. :)

Lord Xtheth

First Post
The system allows for 5 downloads (I believe) and I've read it also allows 5 updates per user per Character builder update. If you realy need it on more than 5 computers, maybe you should just pay a second $6 a month

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The system allows for 5 downloads (I believe) and I've read it also allows 5 updates per user per Character builder update. If you realy need it on more than 5 computers, maybe you should just pay a second $6 a month

Well done for completely missing the point and adding snark too.

The issue is whether it can be installed & run on a PC which is behind a proxy server, and it appears not.

I have installed it on my work computer behind a proxy.

What I did is, I downloaded all the relevant files (extractor and such), copied to my flashdrive, and then installed it at work.

As for updating, I just copy the target folder after I've updated it, and replace the folder at work w/ the updated folder.

Works fine for me.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Thanks for the updates guys.

I have installed it on my work computer behind a proxy.

What I did is, I downloaded all the relevant files (extractor and such), copied to my flashdrive, and then installed it at work.

As for updating, I just copy the target folder after I've updated it, and replace the folder at work w/ the updated folder.

Works fine for me.

Hmm I tried that and it installed the demo version, but would not update for me behind the proxy server, so I tried to copy and replace all the files, but that did not work for me either.

Hmmm, more investigation is needed, at least I know it is possible now.

avin

First Post

/FACEPALM :p:p:p

Lord, OP was talking about installing behind a proxie, not a sixth update it seems.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
/FACEPALM :p:p:p

Lord, OP was talking about installing behind a proxie, not a sixth update it seems.

Yeah, I honestly just misunderstood the OP.

My bad.

@ OP:
Have you tried installing a second download onto a flash drive directly and running it strictly from there? That way you can update it at home.

Last edited:

Remove ads