• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Builder - Is it portable?

vagabundo

Adventurer
I'm looking to bring the character builder into work and put it on my work computer, but it does not update through the proxy I have in work.

Can I copy the files from one computer to another? I've tried it, but it throws up a memory exception each time. I think the data is encrypted, maybe this is causing it.

If anyone has any suggestions about getting it to update through a proxy - I have tried proxycap - I'm all ears.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I've had no luck whatsoever getting it to work through a proxy. Very annoying, to be honest. Sorry I can't be more help, but thank-you for giving me the chance to have a moan about it. :)

Lord Xtheth

First Post
The system allows for 5 downloads (I believe) and I've read it also allows 5 updates per user per Character builder update. If you realy need it on more than 5 computers, maybe you should just pay a second $6 a month

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The system allows for 5 downloads (I believe) and I've read it also allows 5 updates per user per Character builder update. If you realy need it on more than 5 computers, maybe you should just pay a second $6 a month

Well done for completely missing the point and adding snark too.

The issue is whether it can be installed & run on a PC which is behind a proxy server, and it appears not.

I have installed it on my work computer behind a proxy.

What I did is, I downloaded all the relevant files (extractor and such), copied to my flashdrive, and then installed it at work.

As for updating, I just copy the target folder after I've updated it, and replace the folder at work w/ the updated folder.

Works fine for me.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Thanks for the updates guys.

I have installed it on my work computer behind a proxy.

What I did is, I downloaded all the relevant files (extractor and such), copied to my flashdrive, and then installed it at work.

As for updating, I just copy the target folder after I've updated it, and replace the folder at work w/ the updated folder.

Works fine for me.

Hmm I tried that and it installed the demo version, but would not update for me behind the proxy server, so I tried to copy and replace all the files, but that did not work for me either.

Hmmm, more investigation is needed, at least I know it is possible now.

avin

First Post

/FACEPALM :p:p:p

Lord, OP was talking about installing behind a proxie, not a sixth update it seems.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
/FACEPALM :p:p:p

Lord, OP was talking about installing behind a proxie, not a sixth update it seems.

Yeah, I honestly just misunderstood the OP.

My bad.

@ OP:
Have you tried installing a second download onto a flash drive directly and running it strictly from there? That way you can update it at home.

Last edited:

Remove ads