Character Narratives Preview from PRIMEVAL THULE

Here's another preview of the Primeval Thule campaign setting for D&D 5th Edition coming from Sasquatch Games. I already showed you the table of contents and the beastman warrior. This time it's one of the nineteen character narratives from the setting. "In 5e, narratives can be taken as an alternative to backgrounds. Narratives provide a small list of benefits thematically linked to the story and flavor of the specific narrative. At first level these features include skill training and usually a signature ability that provides a small combat benefit. As the character increases in level, additional benefits become available, reflecting a rise in stature or notoriety. At higher levels a narrative might grant an income, a title, or even followers!" (thanks to Fabrício for the scoop!)

Here's another preview of the Primeval Thule campaign setting for D&D 5th Edition coming from Sasquatch Games. I already showed you the table of contents and the beastman warrior. This time it's one of the nineteen character narratives from the setting. "In 5e, narratives can be taken as an alternative to backgrounds. Narratives provide a small list of benefits thematically linked to the story and flavor of the specific narrative. At first level these features include skill training and usually a signature ability that provides a small combat benefit. As the character increases in level, additional benefits become available, reflecting a rise in stature or notoriety. At higher levels a narrative might grant an income, a title, or even followers!" (thanks to Fabrício for the scoop!)

For the original announcement, click here.

narrative-preview-p1.jpg

narrative-preview-p2.jpg

nerfherder

Explorer
I'm encouraged to see the sasquatches taking note of feedback - whether about the 4e-isms, VTT or DM screens. Can't wait to start reading through the PDF at the end of the month!

Psikerlord#

Explorer
@mach1.9pants -- Hi, Mach. You've done a good job of reminding me that not every table plays like my table plays. We'll take another look at the wording on those narrative powers; easy enough to say "once per hour" instead of "once per encounter."

We definitely want you to feel like a Golden Sea Corsair several times a day, which is why we want a strong ability tied to the narrative that comes up frequently in fights. And we're deliberately pushing the boundaries a bit, because it's a low-magic setting and PCs might be looking to make up for a dearth of items with a little help from their narratives. Even so, once per hour would do that.

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I am always happy to hear from people who care about what we're doing!

Rich Baker
Sasquatch Game Studio

Saying once per hour would largely fix the balance problem that is created by using "encounter" terminology, yes please use that or some similar phrase throughout the mechanics chapter instead! Every encounter is too strong/OP, particularly given there is no save vs the frighten condition.

I like the rest of the preview It's amazing that you are here and responding to feedback. Respect!

Last edited by a moderator:

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
I am quite intrigued by this project. Love the concepts and how it is coming together! Thanks, Rich Baker, for taking the time to post replies to our concerns/questions :)

Is there a map somewhere that shows the general layout of the lands in the settling?

(As an ex-Montrealer myself, "dool" for Thule sounds right, lol. For those who don't know: people whose first launguage is not english, such as french-speaking Quebeckers, tend to pronounce a "d" in lieu of "th" :))

Hussar

Legend
I'm sorry, but, advantage 1/combat is hardly a game breaking power. It's not like it's going to massively change most combats. Granted the Frightened condition is nice, but, again, not game breaking. Battle masters can do this several times per short rest with the right manoeuvre. And they get bonus damage to the strike as well.

If it really is overpowered, make it an action instead of triggering on an attack. That way, you have to give up iterative attacks to use this. That would certainly bring it back in line.

But, honestly? 1/encounter I get to potentially frighten 1 target until the end of my next turn? Not a big deal. Basically, I get to negate 1 round of attacks from 1 target 1/encounter. Even those unfamiliar with 4e nomenclature should be able to figure this out. Unless people want to start diving down the rabbit hole of pedantic "what's an encounter".

I really see no reason to change this.

pemerton

Legend
Yeah i will probably change any encounter powers to short rest powers for consistency.
I don't see that this would be a change. 1x/enc = recover on a short rest.

They are 100% NOT the functionally the same thing. That is a complete error in the way 5E works IMO. 4E yes, 5E no way at all.
In 4e, "1x/enc" just means "recovers on a short rest". The pacing of short rests relative to events of meeting people/monsters is a separate thing from the 1x/enc mechanic (eg the players in my 4e game often have their PCs push on rather than rest if they want to get the benefit of a "til end of encounter" buff, which also means they don't get their "1x/enc" powers back.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
In my view, given there are no other "encounter" powers in all of 5e (that I can recall), it is a mistake to introduce them into Thule. And the dev has indicated that was not the intent (the way I read it), but rather a misunderstanding of encounter = short rest, which it did in 4e (5 mins), but does not in 5e (1 hour+).

Anyways, like any 5e stuff, folks will tailor to how they like... Personally I wont be allowing any "per encounter" abilities, coz they will result in the "samey" combats of 4e (which I liked by the way, played it for 3 years) - because you can use the ability "for free" every combat, you use it every combat. Which = no meaningful choices which = boring/too samey. I greatly prefer recharge after resting for 1 hour, or even usable 3/day ... anything but "every encounter".

The mechanics is the part which is least interesting to me however. It's the world concept I love for Thule. It would just be nice if any mechanics were balanced/not OP. :p

In my view, given there are no other "encounter" powers in all of 5e (that I can recall), it is a mistake to introduce them into Thule. And the dev has indicated that was not the intent (the way I read it), but rather a misunderstanding of encounter = short rest, which it did in 4e (5 mins), but does not in 5e (1 hour+).

Anyways, like any 5e stuff, folks will tailor to how they like... Personally I wont be allowing any "per encounter" abilities, coz they will result in the "samey" combats of 4e (which I liked by the way, played it for 3 years) - because you can use the ability "for free" every combat, you use it every combat. Which = no meaningful choices which = boring/too samey. I greatly prefer recharge after resting for 1 hour, or even usable 3/day ... anything but "every encounter".

The mechanics is the part which is least interesting to me however. It's the world concept I love for Thule. It would just be nice if any mechanics were balanced/not OP. :p

Yes, I'd have to agree, I remember 4e had very short 'short rests'. Gamers said they'd, more often than not, short rest after every encounter. So, it would turn into a 1/encounter ability. You'd simply use it every fight, encounter after encounter. Seems like it would make for rather repetitive play.

Hussar

Legend

So, pretty much how fighters play now?

Remove ads

Remove ads