Character Narratives Preview from PRIMEVAL THULE

Here's another preview of the Primeval Thule campaign setting for D&D 5th Edition coming from Sasquatch Games. I already showed you the table of contents and the beastman warrior. This time it's one of the nineteen character narratives from the setting. "In 5e, narratives can be taken as an alternative to backgrounds. Narratives provide a small list of benefits thematically linked to the story and flavor of the specific narrative. At first level these features include skill training and usually a signature ability that provides a small combat benefit. As the character increases in level, additional benefits become available, reflecting a rise in stature or notoriety. At higher levels a narrative might grant an income, a title, or even followers!" (thanks to Fabrício for the scoop!)
Here's another preview of the Primeval Thule campaign setting for D&D 5th Edition coming from Sasquatch Games. I already showed you the table of contents and the beastman warrior. This time it's one of the nineteen character narratives from the setting. "In 5e, narratives can be taken as an alternative to backgrounds. Narratives provide a small list of benefits thematically linked to the story and flavor of the specific narrative. At first level these features include skill training and usually a signature ability that provides a small combat benefit. As the character increases in level, additional benefits become available, reflecting a rise in stature or notoriety. At higher levels a narrative might grant an income, a title, or even followers!" (thanks to Fabrício for the scoop!)

For the original announcement, click here.

narrative-preview-p1.jpg

narrative-preview-p2.jpg

The extra abilities are flavorful, but I think 5E characters are powerful enough as is. The per encounter abilities are definitely not 5E, more 4E really.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadoWWW

Explorer
The spelling "encounter ability" is absolutely 4E, not 5E language.

Also "you are trained in Acrobatics and Athletics" is like from D&D 4E. It should be "you have proficiency in Acrobatics and Athletics skills" in 5E language.

I am still excited in the fluff, but this excerpt made me sad. And I was fool enought to back it today in the morning. :-( Now I understand what Mike Mearls meant when he said they wanted to make sure everyone understands the 5e rules before making the game license public.

For Montreal, yeah that sounds about right.
lol Yeah, [MENTION=55961]goldomark[/MENTION]'s posts made a lot more sense to me once I looked at his/her location.

The extra abilities are flavorful, but I think 5E characters are powerful enough as is. The per encounter abilities are definitely 5E, more 4E really.
I think it's just the language; "cannot use this ability again until you take a short or long rest" is 5E's "once per encounter".

I don't know that I like the mixing of backgrounds and combat abilities--it's way too open to abuse.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I am still excited in the fluff, but this excerpt made me sad. And I was fool enought to back it today in the morning. :-( Now I understand what Mike Mearls meant when he said they wanted to make sure everyone understands the 5e rules before making the game license public.
I can't stop myself at pointing out that these guys made the Princes of Apocalypse Adventure Path for WotC.

Remove ads

Remove ads