D&D 5E Character sheet visuals: Emphasis on ability scores or modifiers?

Where do you like the visual emphasis?

• Prefer equal emphasis

Votes: 0 0.0%

Mercule

Adventurer
The release of DnD Beyond reminded me that the official way of filling out the character sheet is to put the modifier in the big box and the score in the little box. This is like fingernails on a chalkboard, to me. It's probably just my age showing, but I wanted to throw up a quick poll to validate my insecurities.

How do you like your sheets?

dregntael

Explorer
I'd be ok with removing ability scores from the game altogether and only using modifiers. But then again, I only started playing when 4e was released, so...

manduck

Explorer
I went with "strongly prefer emphasis on modifiers" as the modifiers are used far more than the actual scores. Though out of sheer force of habit, I still put the ability scores in the bigger boxes above the modifies. I did that with my latest 5E character. I guess some habits die hard.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I'd be ok with removing ability scores from the game altogether and only using modifiers. But then again, I only started playing when 4e was released, so...

Dragon Age does it that way. It's easier to understand and faster. I mean, having stats and bonuses is not rocket science like THAC0.... Still DA's system is better.

Anyway rules are suggestions, you could totally use dragon age system to determine bonuses and play that way.
As a DM you should apply minor modifications to stuffs that deal with stats.
I'm thinking is playing this way.

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
FWIW, I don't mind this in other games like Fate or (IIRC) Talislanta. It just makes it not D&D, to me. The 3-18 ability scores is probably the most sacred of all D&D cattle, to me.

OK. Getting rid of classes and levels would literally make it a different game. Ability scores could be removed without breaking the game, but it would feel wrong.

Remove ads