• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charge!!

Tagnik

First Post
Ok last stupid simple question for me (for now).

If you do a charge, thats double your str damage. What if you Crit? is that triple? If you power lunge, is that triple dice on a crit?

How much can monks possibly multiply on their damage? Like what if they're Improved Sundering charging and mantis leaping or what not? I'm being general cuz I don't have the books w/ me :(

Thanks!
Tag

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Tagnik said:
If you do a charge, thats double your str damage.
Where did you get that idea? Charging allows you to move up to twice your speed in a straight line, make one attack at +2, and take a -2 to your AC until your next turn. Your Str bonus to damage rolls is not increased.

Berk

First Post
A regular charge doesn't double your str damage.

Power lunge doubles your normal str damage no matter what you are wielding, ie.... greatsword with 15 str, normal str damage of +3, with power lunge it would be +4.

Since striking a critical isn't the standard doubling of a doubling then it would just be double. Same example as above with str 15, greatsword and power lunge. Critical hit confirmed, total damage would be 4d6+8+whatever else for magical and what not.

IceBear

Explorer
Re: Re: Charge!!

Dr. Zoom said:

Where did you get that idea? Charging allows you to move up to twice your speed in a straight line, make one attack at +2, and take a -2 to your AC until your next turn. Your Str bonus to damage rolls is not increased.

He must have been thinking about lances or a past edition.

IceBear

Tagnik

First Post
Golly skipper, I feel so dumb.. I've been playing this for a year now and am usually the "Rule Nazi" and for some reason that got into my head...

Ok using a Lance and Charging and Criting, thats Triple Damage I'm going to assume... no wonder its always used for Smackdowns.

So to Charge is -2 ac and +2 to attack.

How does one set a spear against a charge? "If anyone ever charges me I set my spear" ? Can they act that round or do they have to sit still to ready the action?

Now as for the Power Lunge, Why would a great sword only be +4? If you get a +2 str, and Two handed thats +3, double that and its +6?

Why does it say "Normal" str Modifier? What if you used Bull's Strenght?

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Tagnik said:

How does one set a spear against a charge? "If anyone ever charges me I set my spear" ? Can they act that round or do they have to sit still to ready the action?
To set against a charge, you use the ready action. This works just like readying any other attack. If an opponent charges you while you are ready, you make a single attack roll as soon as he enters your reach. In this special case of a set piercing weapon, a hit deals double damage.

Readying an attack counts as your action for the round. You can still move your speed (or take a move-equivalent action), but you cannot also make other attacks, or cast a spell, etc.

Now as for the Power Lunge, Why would a great sword only be +4? If you get a +2 str, and Two handed thats +3, double that and its +6?

Why does it say "Normal" str Modifier?
You answered your own question here.

If your strength is 14, your normal Str modifier is +2. That is what gets doubled, to +4. You do not double the additional benefit of a two-handed weapon.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Tagnik said:
Ok using a Lance and Charging and Criting, thats Triple Damage I'm going to assume
Correct.

So to Charge is -2 ac and +2 to attack.
You got it.

How does one set a spear against a charge?
Use the Ready action.

No. The feat only doubles your Str bonus without the 1.5 multiplier. This is clarified in the FAQ.

Why does it say "Normal" str Modifier? What if you used Bull's Strenght?
Normal means without the 1.5 modifier. While you are enhanced with Bull's Strength, your normal Str bonus is whatever the increased modifier is. For example, if you have a Str of 15 (normally a +2 bonus) and you are BS'd to 18, your normal Str bonus while under the BS is +4. You may power lunge for +8.

Dimwhit

Explorer
Yep, and if you had Bull's Strength, and your strength was now 18, your "normal" modifier for the double damage would be +4, so +8 on the damage. If you did a crit with a great sword, and had bull's strength, it would be 2d6+8 twice, or 4d6+16. Extra die damage, however, isn't doubled. Like flaming burst or sneak attack bonus. That's tacked on to the end of the damage.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Dr. Zoom - I've just finished looking through both the main and S&F faqs, and have found no such clarification - perhaps you could tell us where it comes from?

My reading of the feat (going from memory here...) is that after calculating the damage of the attack, you then add your strength bonus again (possibly multiplied by 2, I can't remember).

Otherwise it's a really cruddy ability, given that it draws an AoO.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
Dr. Zoom - I've just finished looking through both the main and S&F faqs, and have found no such clarification - perhaps you could tell us where it comes from?

My reading of the feat (going from memory here...) is that after calculating the damage of the attack, you then add your strength bonus again (possibly multiplied by 2, I can't remember).

Otherwise it's a really cruddy ability, given that it draws an AoO.
My mistake. The S&F errata adds the clarifying statement that the Str bonus doubles regardless of whether you are using a one or two handed weapon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads