D&D 5E Charm, the evil spells

through magical force that broke through your will power...
But if you're an NPC, how is this different from the PC succeeding in a persuasion check against you?

I assume it is becuse it is a violation and it would be A HUGE execption for someone not to care.
But no other spell has such stipulation. Charm person doesn't say that, nor do the more blatant mind affecting spells. It is just weird, like the target was first magicked to be friendly and them magicked to be angry...

Remathilis

Legend
so I am right that all things are sort of evil in dnd and thus that arguments are futile as what is good is what is not harming people in any way devisable?
There is good magical effects: there is nothing inherently questionable about healing magic, protection magic, noninvasive divination (ie augury), certain transmutation like fly or expeditious retreat, benign spells like light or creation spells like create water or fabricate. They are the hammers that can be used wrongly, but with used correctly are beneficial to people. This is compared against a spell like charm, hold or detect thoughts where even even used for noble cause, the spells effect are themselves problematic. There is argument as to whether such uses can be justified, but the action itself is never benign.

D&D magic is overwhelming in that latter category.

Granted, paladins aren't always good-aligned in this edition, but one would expect that the designers wouldn't include a spell on the paladin's spell list that would cause a good-aligned character to become an oath breaker simply by virtue of casting it.
There are accounts of an instance of a god who put a couple near a tree bearing appetizing fruits hanging low and yet didn't want the couple to eat them.

However, I agree with you that tools are not good or evil. They are tools. Much like the Paladin's Holy Avenger is, despite seldom being used as a farming implement.

HammerMan

Legend
no, I am suggesting ALL action from magic to swords is evil and thus these are discussions in pointlessness.
and I am suggesting that to a degree you are right, from sword to spell is pretty evil. sometimes we use evil to fight evil. We can all pick what hill (what we want called out) to die on (we will keep posting about). MY discussion my post is about MY HILL TO DIE ON, charm and other like effects, not everything else (although I did say 9/10th of the phb could be seen as evil)

HammerMan

Legend
But if you're an NPC, how is this different from the PC succeeding in a persuasion check against you?
becuse instead of talking the PC forced his magical will onto my NPC...
But no other spell has such stipulation. Charm person doesn't say that, nor do the more blatant mind affecting spells. It is just weird, like the target was first magicked to be friendly and them magicked to be angry...
I assume being a 0th level spell it is the least able to hold out that anger so it always happens where the others it is up to DM/player

HammerMan

Legend
There is good magical effects: there is nothing inherently questionable about healing magic, protection magic, noninvasive divination (ie augury), certain transmutation like fly or expeditious retreat, benign spells like light or creation spells like create water or fabricate. They are the hammers that can be used wrongly, but with used correctly are beneficial to people. This is compared against a spell like charm, hold or detect thoughts where even even used for noble cause, the spells effect are themselves problematic. There is argument as to whether such uses can be justified, but the action itself is never benign.

D&D magic is overwhelming in that latter category.
good list... I may have over stated the 9/10 but not by much, Maybe we should start a post on GOOD things

Faolyn

(she/her)
Isn't or wasn't hypnotic therapy (a form of mind control) used to attempt to change the thoughts and-or mind patterns of the criminally insane, in order to make them less so?

If yes, there's your instance.
Hypnosis... by trained therapists who (in many countries and states) are regulated by the government and is used typically with other types of therapy as well, not alone, on consenting patients ...and which may just be a placebo affect thing anyway, or a type of meditation. It's not movie-style mind control, since nobody can actually agree what hypnosis is or does anyway.

I can't find anything on using it to change the thoughts of the "criminally insane" anywhere, and I doubt it would work on anyone who wasn't willing to try--if it even works at all. Wikipedia lists hypnotherapy as an alternative medicine, along with crystals and phrenology.

Faolyn

(she/her)
So even if the terminology isn't accurate, is it fair to call them "evil"? I mean magic missile is literally assault and serves no other function but for assault with intent to injure or kill.

I think the 9/10ths of the PHB spells are either illegal, immoral or unethical to use, regardless of rationale for it's use, is a safe statement.
I personally don't think that hold person or blindness/deafness are capital-e Evil spells. For starters, they are almost invariably used as combat spells, when it's kill-or-be-killed and the PCs are in battle against (hopefully) proven bad guys. Charm, suggestion, and other enchantment spells, however, have a bad habit of being used out-of-combat, though, and either as a time-saver (instead of RPing conversation while trying to persuade someone to do something they don't want to do) or for... disturbing reasons.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Why? There's literally no way to stop them that isn't some sort of violation. Why is it evil to stop evil?
As I told someone else, this BS edgecase dilemma argument is not useful and I won’t engage with it.

Also, violence isn’t inherently evil, and is not a “violation”. Violation, here, refers to rape.

Tackling someone is not inherently violating them. Controlling their mind is.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases