Cheap Shot at D&D Players

Talath

Explorer
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/WolfFiles/wolffiles.html

The last item in the article takes a cheap shot at D&D players. In the article, it says:

12. Mullet Head Dolls
Meet Speed Fry Jr. He lives with his Grandma in Trailer 3B, in the luxurious Shady Tree Mobile Home Park. Speed Fry and his pet armadillo just love to set small brushfires, play Dungeons & Dragons and examine road kill on I-20, near where his mother works as a cocktail waitress. Speed Fry can often be heard telling his friend Clem, "Why do you always get to be the Dungeon Master?"

I decided to respond to this cheap shot in return.

Hello,

This is an excerpt from one of your articles about odd toys:

12. Mullet Head Dolls
Meet Speed Fry Jr. He lives with his Grandma in Trailer
3B, in the luxurious Shady Tree Mobile Home Park. Speed
Fry and his pet armadillo just love to set small brushfires,
play Dungeons & Dragons and examine road kill on I-20,
near where his mother works as a cocktail waitress.
Speed Fry can often be heard telling his friend Clem, "Why
do you always get to be the Dungeon Master?"

As a Dungeons & Dragons player, I know from experience in meeting other such players to know that very few of us are "trailer park trash".

I find your lumping of all D&D players as "trailer park trash" to be a cheap shot.

If the statement you made were true, you should be rolling dice with us "trailer park trash". You can be Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light.

Cast Magic Missile and attack the darkness, Galstaff.

Cast Magic Missile.

Sincerely,
Orion

And thats all I have to say about that.

Last edited:

adndgamer

First Post
Heh. Think he'll get the Galstaff remark?

Where the hell does the dude get the connotation between white trash and D&D? That's one thing I've *NEVER* associated with D&D. Ignorant fools.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Talath said:
If the statement you made were true, you should be rolling dice with us "trailer park trash". You can be Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light.

Cast Magic Missile and attack the darkness, Galstaff.

Cast Magic Missile.

Sincerely,
Orion

Even I don't get this reference, and I've gamed since 1979. No offense intended, but such a message will simply further help solidify the perception of gamers as a bunch of insular geeks. I think a well-reasoned, thoughtful message that made no arcane game references would have been better for the image of gamers. But if it made you feel better to send it, that's fine.

I don't get the white trash/D&D connection either. First I've ever seen of such a thing. Just ignore it; a lot more people have heard of D&D than will ever see these dolls.

graydoom

First Post
Typical... sometimes it's really annoying how the press can just lump everyone who does something into a nice little category.

"One random person who played some D&D was white trash, therefore all D&D players are white trash."

Gah.

Remove ads