Pathfinder 1E Check Out The Beta For Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Owlcat Studios -- who made the Pathfinder: Kingmaker video game -- has released the beta version of its upcoming Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, along with the new combat gameplay trailer. The beta -- which is based on the Pathfinder 1E rules -- is available to Kickstarter backers. The Kickstarter made over $2M last year. To download the beta you need to log in to your account on...

Owlcat Studios -- who made the Pathfinder: Kingmaker video game -- has released the beta version of its upcoming Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, along with the new combat gameplay trailer.

The beta -- which is based on the Pathfinder 1E rules -- is available to Kickstarter backers. The Kickstarter made over $2M last year. To download the beta you need to log in to your account on Owlcat Games' website (which isn't loading for me right now) but you can read more about the beta here.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
Their previous Pathfinder game made it in and out of my Steam's cart numerous times. From what I'm reading it seems to be neither great or terrible, but just passable and forgettable. Maybe this one will convince me to pull the trigger!

Mercador

Adventurer
Their previous Pathfinder game made it in and out of my Steam's cart numerous times. From what I'm reading it seems to be neither great or terrible, but just passable and forgettable. Maybe this one will convince me to pull the trigger!
I'm pretty sure it will be offered on the Epic Game Store before long (the first one)

TheSword

Legend
To be fair Kingmaker was a pretty cool game. The first I’ve seen to convincingly mix kingdom building and rpg. And have both matter rather than one or the other be a minor addition.

Yes it’s difficult, but you do get to set the difficulty as you see fit. Good NPCs, lots of side quests. Takes you right up to high level play. What’s not to like?!

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Kingmaker was well done and enjoyable. I didn’t get pulled in like the old Baldurs gate, planscape, Diablo style games but I don’t have the time/desire to sit and play for hours like my younger self did. I’ll still download this when it comes out and see what I think.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Though the fact that they are building it with PF1 rules set as a base is just another damning testimony of PF2 as far as I’m concerned. I get there was already an engine but come on, it doesn’t look good!
I have not played Pathfinder 2e, so I have no dog in the fight, but the Wrath of the Righteous adventure path (like Kingmaker before it) was written for Pathfinder 1e. So there's that, too.

TheSword

Legend
I have not played Pathfinder 2e, so I have no dog in the fight, but the Wrath of the Righteous adventure path (like Kingmaker before it) was written for Pathfinder 1e. So there's that, too.
Yes. That is true. Though certainly kingmaker departed a long way from the core AP story and the spells, monsters, classes, items exist in both editions. Indeed monsters are pretty far removed from the stats for their TTRPg equivalent.

It seems like a missed opportunity to welcome people to the new rules. I guess it was Owlcats decision though.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I wonder if they'll release a special tabletop adventure to go along with this. The Kingmaker game had one released for it called The Puzzle Box, so it'll be awesome if they release another one for Wrath of the Righteous.

dalisprime

Explorer
To be fair Kingmaker was a pretty cool game. The first I’ve seen to convincingly mix kingdom building and rpg. And have both matter rather than one or the other be a minor addition.

Yes it’s difficult, but you do get to set the difficulty as you see fit. Good NPCs, lots of side quests. Takes you right up to high level play. What’s not to like?!
The kingdom management part is what's not to like there. Perhaps I missed it during the tutorial but the game gives you no indication of the consequences of failing the kingdom table quests which can lead to a game over before you can even reach the final section of the game. Now if there was a solid way to recover from failure outside save scumming I wouldn't mind, but there's none. Failure at the table has a snowball effect. Get a few unlucky failures early and you're all but guaranteed to be failing later missions.
The final section also has way too many annoying trash mobs that have a tendency to stunlock you into oblivion.
Until you get crowned as the king, the game is pretty cool, but once you start fighting for the survival of your kingdom (and suddenly find yourself unable to stave off the foreign power meddling in your affairs because you were unlucky early on) it becomes an exercise in frustration.

Remove ads

Remove ads