• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Check Out The Forge Domain From Xanathar's Guide

As part of the Extra Life charity campaign, WotC has released a preview of the Forge Domain from Xanathar's Guide to Everything. Head on over to donate and unlock more previews. There are two more previews unlocked which should be released imminently, so stay tuned - the table of contents and a "Drawing of in-game Tortle champion asset, from Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms".

Chaosmancer

Legend
How is a paladin affording Plate Mail at 2nd level? Just how much cash are you giving your PC's? We barely managed to afford plate by 4th level and we're a smidge off of 5th.

But, the point is, how long will it be before you cleric has +1 armor, +1 shield AND +1 weapon? That's going to take quite a while.

The same way the cleric is at level 1

I wanted to see what the biggest numbers were so my example uses the best armor. :p

The basic math doesn't change as long as the armor is equivalent, and I was just playing around with the best mundane toys they could get.

Aaron L

Hero
Realism is for museums. Fantasy art should look fantastic.

The fantastic parts should look fantastic. Dragons and magic and such... but things that existed and exist in the real world should look like they do in the real world, otherwise it all just devolves into visual gibberish. Why not have "humans" be nine feet tall and blue with three arms? That's pretty fantastic! Of course, it also obliterates the definition of "human." I want a sword to look like a sword really does in real life.

Without a solid grounding in reality to distinguish the mundane from the wondrousness of the fantastic, trying to make everything fantastic, just ends up making everything a muddled mess.

Or to paraphrase a certain supervillain: "When everything is special, nothing is."

Hussar

Legend
/snip
Or to paraphrase a certain supervillain: "When everything is special, nothing is."

Just because it bugs me when I see this trotted out.

That line is used by the villain. As in the bad guy. As in, what he says is WRONG. It's not true.

IOW, forcing artists to only use mundane art for real world elements is wrong. Sure, it's ONE kind of art. But, it's hardly the only kind. I mean, if we insist on this, then artists like Brom, Tony Di Terlizzi, Erol Otis and many, many others would not appear in fantasy art.

And that would be a very, very bad thing.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Just because it bugs me when I see this trotted out.

That line is used by the villain. As in the bad guy. As in, what he says is WRONG. It's not true.

I won't go so far as to say that villains only say things which are wrong, but I agree with you that what that villain said is wrong. It's like when I hear people say there would be no good without bad. Yeah, there would be good, we just wouldn't have a counter-point for it.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
So realistically a Ftr 1 (Defense), Cleric 1 (+1 Splint Armor from Blessings of the Forge, +0 Shield) can now reasonably have a 21 AC at 2nd level. By level 7, they'd have an AC of 23 (Plate and Soul of the Forge). Without using any additional resources to do it, or magic items they didn't make magic themselves. That's pretty tanky!

Last edited by a moderator:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
So realistically a Ftr 1 (Defense), Cleric 1 (+1 Splint Armor from Blessings of the Forge, +0 Shield) can now reasonably have a 21 AC at 2nd level. By level 7, they'd have an AC of 23 (Plate and Soul of the Forge). Without using any additional resources to do it, or magic items they didn't make magic themselves. That's pretty tanky!

This is when you start using intellect devourers on t1 and t2 parties. :p

Bardbarian

First Post
If AC was the only measurement of tankiness then yes, but I have not really seen many bladesingers standing in the front lines for too long. This cleric has a bit more staying power but will not likely infringe upon the pure melee classes when it comes to choosing a front line. I dont believe anything prevents them from making the fighter's armor magical instead of their own adding some party synergy at lower levels or in low magic settings.

Remove ads

Remove ads