Checking Out The RAGE OF DEMONS Minis from GF9

What do Orcus, Graz'zt, and Zuggtmoy have in common? They're all demon lords, and they're all miniatures coming soon from Gale Force 9. They're limited edition (only 1500 of each). Orcus retails at a mighty $75, with Zuggtmoy at $25 and Graz'zt at $20.

What do Orcus, Graz'zt, and Zuggtmoy have in common? They're all demon lords, and they're all miniatures coming soon from Gale Force 9. They're limited edition (only 1500 of each). Orcus retails at a mighty $75, with Zuggtmoy at $25 and Graz'zt at $20.

GF971048alt.jpg

GF971046alt.jpg

GF971047alt.jpg

Greybird

Explorer
Boo. Hiss. This is a game. Game pieces shouldn't be double the normal prices with a limited run. It is bad enough that the only way to get regular pieces is via blind packs or third parties, but this is a terrible way to do things. Do limited pieces for the collectors - do them all day long. That's great. But back them up with traditionally priced, traditionally marketed miniatures for the people who just want to buy the pieces they need to play their game.

V0RTEX

Explorer
Boo. Hiss. This is a game. Game pieces shouldn't be double the normal prices with a limited run. It is bad enough that the only way to get regular pieces is via blind packs or third parties, but this is a terrible way to do things. Do limited pieces for the collectors - do them all day long. That's great. But back them up with traditionally priced, traditionally marketed miniatures for the people who just want to buy the pieces they need to play their game.

I'm not sure that profiteering is the motive for the size of the production run. I've noticed that these figure seem to be readily available from most the normal outlets. I suspect the limited run just reflects the true size of the market for this type of thing. Sure they are pricey, but not more expensive than other comparable quality miniatures for the hobbyist market.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's a bit like saying "The Ferrrari 488 is nice, but most people want an affordable car they can commute to work in - why doesn't Ferrari make a $30K model with good gas mileage and a spacious back seat?" Making high quality resin models is a totally different beast than producing cheap prepainted plastic.

If you want cheap "game pieces" there are a ton options out there - 95%+ of the minis released these days are prepainted plastic. Please don't complain about the small fraction of models intended for those of us that actually want to paint high quality minis.

phoffman

Explorer
The small runs for figurines, is likely do to the materials the molds are made of. If they are using silicone molds they only hold up for so many copies.

Greybird

Explorer
That's a bit like saying "The Ferrrari 488 is nice, but most people want an affordable car they can commute to work in - why doesn't Ferrari make a $30K model with good gas mileage and a spacious back seat?" Making high quality resin models is a totally different beast than producing cheap prepainted plastic.

If you want cheap "game pieces" there are a ton options out there - 95%+ of the minis released these days are prepainted plastic. Please don't complain about the small fraction of models intended for those of us that actually want to paint high quality minis.

Except that that is not what I said. I actually said that making special pieces for collectors is great. I just think that there should ALSO be some traditional choices for people who want pieces to play the game.

As for market size, they are automatically limiting it by charging three times what a typical miniature runs.

Have blind packs. Have high-grade collector's pieces. But also make it so that if I need a half-dozen water cultists, or a few Trademarked Beasties (TM) that I can get them without having to pay triple or buy thirty low-quality pieces I don't need to get one I do (I've been painting miniatures since the 80s, and still shudder every time I have to try and work with the plastics.)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
For those not liking the price Reaper makes miniatures of Demogorgon, Yeenoghtu, Graz'zt, Lolth, Orcus, and I'm sure they have something that will stand in just fine for Juiblex. Not so sure about Baphomet or Fraz-urb'luu. I probably misspelled a few of those... Anyway all in metal and like these all are unpainted and not usign the same names if they are WotC IP.

Psychometrika

First Post

Most of the demon lords already have had releases in the past by other miniature companies, so you have lots of other options. Orcus in particular has a wide variety of choices, so I guess I'm not seeing what there is to complain about.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
That's pretty pricey for resin minis these days. GF9 must think they're GW or something (and GW thinks that they're Apple).

Remove ads

Remove ads