• 1. human battlemaster fighter with polearm

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • 2. human battlemaster fighter with spear and shield

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • 3. human vengeance paladin with polearm

Votes: 7 23.3%

Sacrosanct

Legend
Brief poll. Which of these seem most appealing to you. Only having these three options, because if I added "other" I'm sure that would get the overwhelming number of votes lol. Out of these three only. And figure max level would be 10-12, not an end game build.

1. variant human battlemaster fighter with glaive/halberd: most common. Get GWF at level 1. Gives reach and PAM at first level, then sentinel at level 4 and STR+2 or GWM at 6, and the other at level 8.
2. variant human battlemaster fighter with spear and shield. Get PAM at first level, sentinel at 4, and STR+2 at 6 and again at level 8. Give up reach, but get extra AC from shield and get dueling at level 1 to add +2 dmg to main spear attacks AND to bonus PAM attack. Get more ASI because you're not spending a feat on GWM.
3. variant human vengence paladin with glaive/halberd. GWF fighting style. Gets reach and PAM at level 1. Sentinel at level 8. At level 7 gain the ability to use reaction to move when you hit with opportunity attack. So by level 8, you're a kiting master. Bonus to use smite when you hit with a crit.

J-H

Hero
My next character will likely be a Totem Barbarian using Spear+Shield+PAM, granting my allies advantage on attacks against everyone in range, and getting an attack any time an enemy closes to hit me. Damage is a bit lower, as Rage doesn't fully compensate for the bad 1d6 & 1d4 base numbers, but hopefully magical equipment and the added ally-caused damage will pick up the slack. Move-speed flight at level 14 is pretty sweet too. No GWM also means Reckless Attack is optional, which really helps survivability combined with the DR and high-ish AC.

I've statted it out on DNDB, and with a few tomes or good stat rolls, a 24/20/24 physical spread at 20 means he's got an AC of 24 with no magical equipment whatsoever.

Bihlbo

Explorer
In other news, why is this the first time I've noticed that the spear (simple) and trident (martial) have the exact same stats, except that the trident costs more and weighs more?! 🤯
Yeah, the weapons chart is either really poorly made, or it's unfinished. Longsword/battleaxe are identical. Glaive/halberd too. The war pick has no reason to exist and the trident is just terrible. Etc.

Remove ads