• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV Chris Pine To Star In D&D Movie

The long, slow process towards a modern take on D&D movies took a large step forward with the announcement of a huge star signed to the project. Considering that filming is set to start soon a cascade of announcements should be revealed in initiative order imminently. Filming begins in Q1 2021. Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley will be directing the film which features "an ensemble...

The long, slow process towards a modern take on D&D movies took a large step forward with the announcement of a huge star signed to the project. Considering that filming is set to start soon a cascade of announcements should be revealed in initiative order imminently. Filming begins in Q1 2021.

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley will be directing the film which features "an ensemble cast and take a subversive approach to the game."

chris-pine-variety-studio.jpg

Chris Pine has closed a deal to star in Dungeons & Dragons, the live action film based on Hasbro’s massively popular role-playing game from Wizards of the Coast. Hasbro/eOne and Paramount are jointly producing and financing, with eOne distributing in the UK and Canada, and Paramount the rest of the world.

TheSword

Legend
And, here, you have missed much of the point of LotR!

Frodo is a hero because he takes responsibility for fixing a thing in front of him, rather than passing it off on someone else.
No I appreciate that. It just isn’t very convincing as a motivation. Most people if told to take a deadly artifact, hunted by enemies beyond your power to a place of unimaginable danger would say, “sure I’ll just get my things”, and then be out the back door before anyone could stop them.

Heroism is more realistic when less epic. Therein lies the stumbling block of a lot of fantasy fiction.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, and since Chris Pine is the poor man's Chris Pratt...

Not so much. While nobody releases direct figures, it looks like Pratt and Pine made in the same ballpark for Guardians 2 and Trek: Beyond, which came out in the same year. And I'd think Pratt's turns in further Marvel movies (in which he's not the top star) are probably on par with Pine's Wonder Woman roles, all told.

Which is to say, these are both pricey actors. Not Robert Downey Jr. pricey, but pricey.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure "subversive" is in reference to making it more about the story than the game elements. I.e., the mechanics. Which is a good thing. No one wants to watch a movie where they keep making references to the mechanics in some weird 4th wall way
I don't know, that generated a whole new reading genre, LitRPG

Last edited:

Hurin70

Adventurer
Not really looking forward to a lite/comedic PG take. The fantasy that I've most enjoyed -- Lord of the Rings, Conan the Barbarian, Game of Thrones -- has been more serious.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
And, here, you have missed much of the point of LotR!

Frodo is a hero because he takes responsibility for fixing a thing in front of him, rather than passing it off on someone else.
Except he does try to fob it off - multiple times - to people he perceives as mightier/wiser/more significant than himself. He ultimately takes up the task because those efforts are refused and the Council of Elrond otherwise deadlocks. Yes, it's heroic, but it's the heroism of someone resigned to getting something done and realizing that if he doesn't do it, nobody else will.

Remove ads

Remove ads