D&D Movie/TV Chris Pine To Star In D&D Movie

The long, slow process towards a modern take on D&D movies took a large step forward with the announcement of a huge star signed to the project. Considering that filming is set to start soon a cascade of announcements should be revealed in initiative order imminently. Filming begins in Q1 2021. Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley will be directing the film which features "an ensemble...

The long, slow process towards a modern take on D&D movies took a large step forward with the announcement of a huge star signed to the project. Considering that filming is set to start soon a cascade of announcements should be revealed in initiative order imminently. Filming begins in Q1 2021.

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley will be directing the film which features "an ensemble cast and take a subversive approach to the game."

chris-pine-variety-studio.jpg

Chris Pine has closed a deal to star in Dungeons & Dragons, the live action film based on Hasbro’s massively popular role-playing game from Wizards of the Coast. Hasbro/eOne and Paramount are jointly producing and financing, with eOne distributing in the UK and Canada, and Paramount the rest of the world.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Oh, and there was this as well. Basically, these are not going to be low budget movies like we got before. Doesn't mean they'll be good or bad, but at least (for me) there's hope.

Dungeons and Dragons will be one of the first projects that’s part of Hasbro’s AllSpark Pictures, through which the toy company hopes to start churning out Marvel Cinematic Universe-level competition. Other upcoming projects under the label include the G.I. Joe spinoff Snake Eyes and Micronauts.​
That's an old press release. AllSpark was rolled into eOne in October 2020.

Right now, the question is not whether there will be a theatrical release but whether theaters will still exist. Movie theater chains were excluded from the COVID bill, which is why AMC is trading around $2.50 right now.

Oofta

Legend
That's an old press release. AllSpark was rolled into eOne in October 2020.

Right now, the question is not whether there will be a theatrical release but whether theaters will still exist. Movie theater chains were excluded from the COVID bill, which is why AMC is trading around $2.50 right now.

I could also ask how far away we are from the alien AI nanotech plague zombie apocalypse. My point with the post is that they are currently targeting big budget releases. Predicting the death of movies as we know them is a bit premature IMHO, there's too much money there and COVID restrictions will pass eventually.

Of course, if big budget releases never happen then maybe we'll have to settle for a TV/streamed show which I would be perfectly fine with.

darjr

I crit!
I could also ask how far away we are from the alien AI nanotech plague zombie apocalypse. My point with the post is that they are currently targeting big budget releases. Predicting the death of movies as we know them is a bit premature IMHO, there's too much money there and COVID restrictions will pass eventually.

Of course, if big budget releases never happen then maybe we'll have to settle for a TV/streamed show which I would be perfectly fine with.
All that’s happened in 2020 and you still don’t get it. The nanobots thing already happened when the collider smashed us into an alternate reality. Now we are just programs in an elaborate simulation. A very bad one designed by an AI that used to be a toaster and it thinks this is great fun.

Richards

Legend
The characters made up for the comic - Bug and Marionette and so on? I'd imagine they still have those rights. I'm not so sure about the setting, though, as a lot of times those rights are granted only for a set amount of time and then revert. Marvel did some cool things with the Rom franchise, for example, but they no longer have the rights to Rom: Spaceknight so they don't reprint books that have him in it. So I'm not sure if Disney, owning Marvel, could make a Micronauts movie using the default setting and characters (Acroyear, Baron Karza, etc.) from the toy line without purchasing those rights separately.

Johnathan

TheSword

Legend
A film can have both comedy and Pathos. In fact the juxtaposition of both can be very powerful.

Believe it or not I’ve just watched It’s a Wonderful Life for the first time in 41 years... as it’s Christmas. Comedy right through and yet tears flowed.

Remove ads

Remove ads