• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Chromatic Orb

discosoc

First Post
Follow up, How many DM's keep track of components, especially in low level spells. I usually ask if the healer has the component and cash for a raise dead spell, but never bothered with 1st level spells. 5e also seems to make the component rather simple and mundane to get away from the eschew materials feat from 3e. Am I missing something to make my game better, or worrying about these details falls in with speed factor and such?

There are basically 3 types of spells, when it comes to components:

1. Spells without any materials required. These are easy and obviously don't need to be tracked.
2. Spells with components that do not specify a cost or value for the components. These do not need to be tracked, however the player does need to have a component pouch or an arcane focus to cover the cost (as well as the free hand to use either). It's worth noting that the component pouch never really needs to be "refilled" or anything, so contents of the pouch don't really matter.
3. Spells with components that *do* specify a cost or value for the components. These *do* need to be tracked, which means your wizard will probably have lots of random high-value items in his robes or pouches (gems, carvings, etc) in addition to his normal arcane focus or component pouch. You also need to track when certain spells destroy the component as part of the casting, and which ones simply require a valuable item to be manipulated.

Ignoring these details won't break the game any, but there's really no reason for them not to be able to afford the components pretty quickly. I also wouldn't recommend ignoring components for 1st level spells, because that's the whole purpose of cantrips. 1st level spells *should* be considered useful and special, unlike older additions where they were considered baseline.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Follow up, How many DM's keep track of components, especially in low level spells. I usually ask if the healer has the component and cash for a raise dead spell, but never bothered with 1st level spells. 5e also seems to make the component rather simple and mundane to get away from the eschew materials feat from 3e. Am I missing something to make my game better, or worrying about these details falls in with speed factor and such?
I have caster players keep track of any spells that need a specific expensive component, including how many "uses" of each that is expended in casting, but all other material components I embrace the spell component pouch or spellcasting focus rules and keep the tracking at "do you have a spell component pouch or spellcasting focus on hand? Then you are good."

Satyrn

First Post
I don't really ever pay attention to components when I'm DMing, except when they get really expensive and I'm actually aware of the requirement. I leave the players deal with the fiddly bits if they want to.

Remove ads