• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class variants: ranger, fighter, and others ("Class X" series)

peterka99

First Post
@peterka99 Thanks for the heads up! He does an impressive table in the end of many traits and their point values in his system.

Feel free to join the post, unless you are Enworld-bound as a paladin to his god :)

Conceptually, my design directive for the fighter is threefold:
point 1: Agreed, even if unarmed combat should be an option as "swordplay" option.
point 2-3: There is a lot a active talents in the feats list: ex: 3.xE cleave as part of 2-handed master. I'm just unsure if it will not duplicate them in some points...
point 3: Good point, but the fighter is basically the more mechanical class. hit, hit, hit, take damage... This is an ambitious objective.

And after 3 weeks what are your comments about my Ranger suggestions ?

Last edited:

peterka99

First Post
Taking Etienne as a basis:

Human Shield talent As a reaction, you can attempt parry with a creature you already grappled. Your parry roll must be higher both attacker and grappled opponent's athletic rolls. The parried damage is absorbed by your human shield. Recharge: Still grappling a creature

Throw As a bonus action, you can attempt throwing a creature you already grappled. Your throw roll must be higher than the grappled opponent's athletic roll. You can throw the creature 5 feet away, 10 with a critical roll. Athlete feat double the throwing distance. An attack roll is required to throw the creature onto a moving target as another creature. Damage is 1d6 per 5 feet, plus strength modifier, doubled if the point of impact is hard as a wall. A Strength save is required not to fall prone. Recharge: Re-grappling a creature

Last edited:

EditorBFG

Explorer
I just spent a lot of time redoing the ranger for a low-magic game, and also to solve some the existing problems. I read a lot of variant rangers working on it, but somehow missed yours until now. I wish I had read yours before I worked on mine!

Quickleaf

Legend
I just spent a lot of time redoing the ranger for a low-magic game, and also to solve some the existing problems. I read a lot of variant rangers working on it, but somehow missed yours until now. I wish I had read yours before I worked on mine!

Hah! That has happened to me on occasion as well. Simultaneous design and all that.

Actually, I'm going to tip my hat to [MENTION=92511]steeldragons[/MENTION] here because he just did a draft version of a revised ranger which looks phenomenal. This was posted as a PDF in the main ranger thread, but we'll be talking about it over here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?465488-Ranger-Rehash/page5

I highly recommend checking it out.

peterka99

First Post
There are dozens of directions possible for this ranger... All can be good... I'll always prefer the tricks approach as for the swashbuckler...

peterka99

First Post
It had trouble figuring out Catodon's methodology for balancing classes via points. I get the basics that he (or she) is using as a baseline "Ability Score Improvement / Feat = 4 points."

However, based on the files I downloaded (a PDF that's focused on home-brew races, and a disorganized spreadsheet), I couldn't figure out how evaluations of other features were made in light of the baseline.

I checked out some of the others, and similarly found their formatting undecipherable, so their point systems - if they actually are systems - are just not actually useable for me.

Anyhow, sitting down to go over some of your recent critiques & things I've been wanting to address for the Ranger.

Hi! I just take opportunity to let you know the author updated his article and it is way clearer now!

https://rpggeek.com/file/download/vp53n1ked2/5e_unusual_races_point_build_203.pdf

Do you still work on that alternate ranger version ? I liked the bestow perception aura....

Remove ads