Cleric of time ideas

So, I just got invited to a game, and I had the idea of running a support type cleric that worships the god of time.

My DM really liked the idea, but beyond the concept and race (Aasimar) I don't really know where to take this.

I'm open to suggestions, and would appreciate any assistance.

(Stats rolled, if it matters are: Str- 12, Con-13, Dex-12, Int- 18, Wis [before racial bonus] 18, Cha [before racial bonus] 16)

Dandu

First Post
There is a Time domain in the Spell Compendium, iirc.

For inspiration on how to play this character, I suggest watching the BBC sci-fi series Dr. Who.

captnq

First Post
Ironically, a cleric is a lousy choice for a Time based character. However, there is a way.

Dip into cloister cleric. Convert Spells to Power Erudite with a focus on the various time shifting powers and cherry pick the best time based wizard spells. Then that PrC that lets you adfvance as a divine and psionic character at the same time from out of Dragon magazine. Should give you the best cross section of time effects possible.

Here's the Erudite handbook, if you need ideas.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Take Extra Turning and the original Sacred Healing* feat in Complete Divine. As I posted in an another thread:

By taking Sacred Healing (the original version in CompDiv), you can burn a Turn attempt to give all creatures in a 60' radius burst Fast Healing 3 for (1 + Cha bonus)#Rds. By taking Extra Healing, you gain +4 Turns/day. If your PC has a Cha of 16, by burning one Turn Attempt, you're healing 12HP to each of your allies...better than your average Augmented CLW. And since the healing is spread out over a few rounds, anyone dropped to 0HP or fewer is automatically stabilized while the effect is active.

The Extra Turning, of course, makes sure you're not leaving the party defenseless against the undead.

For a party this size (with no allies), this means that you'd be doing the equivalent of exchanging a Turn Attempt for casting 4 healing spells. And this exchange gets better and better for each ally your party adds. Conceivably, you could heal hundreds with this- my personal max is around 35 so far.

The downside is this: since it is a burst effect, it will work on everything with HP in the AoE, so you MUST NOT cast this in combat, or you're helping your foes as well as your allies. That said, there's nothing to stop you from casting your standard healing spells in combat.

This fits the Cleric of Time concept well- you are magically accelerating their healing. (You are also multitasking. ;)). And of course the spells that grant fast healing or regeneration are likewise equally appropriate...and some have Mass versions as well.

It may seem a bit of a tradeoff, but is used that feat combo to keep a 10th+ level party going through Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil while barely casting any true healing spells. Playing a Geomancer.

* I checked with WotC: the other version of the feat was NOT intended as a rewrite & replacement. They simply forgot there was already a feat with that name.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you can qualify for them, the Dimensional Hand and Dimensional Jaunt Reserve Feats are both appropriate- you are manipulating time to the points when the masses in question would be at hose points in space, shifted to the NOW.

So, I just got invited to a game, and I had the idea of running a support type cleric that worships the god of time.

My DM really liked the idea, but beyond the concept and race (Aasimar) I don't really know where to take this.

I'm open to suggestions, and would appreciate any assistance.

(Stats rolled, if it matters are: Str- 12, Con-13, Dex-12, Int- 18, Wis [before racial bonus] 18, Cha [before racial bonus] 16)

There are few deities with Time in their portfolio and even fewer that actually offer the Time domain to their clerics. So perhaps this is a new deity? Or you follow a concept instead of a deity? Maybe your cleric could be all about the hands of fate* and destiny? You could grab the Oracle Domain (CDiv) or Destiny Domain (RoD) to fill out the character concept. [MENTION=85158]Dandu[/MENTION] I saw the Time Domain in PGF. I don't know if it was reprinted elsewhere.

Do you have an idea for what you want your cleric to do? Is he wading into melee? Summoning? Heal/buff bot? I've always been a fan of Divine Metamagic (Reach Spell). If you go with ranged attacks, Zen Archery is your friend. Do aasimars get weapon proficiency from being an outsider even though they don't have racial hit die? If so, then grab a bow if you're going ranged. If there is not going to be a lot of undead in the campaign, then I would definitely recommend looking at the feats in Complete Warrior and Complete Divine that let you burn turning attempts to do other things such as Divine Vigor and Sacred Healing.

18 Int on a cleric seems odd, since Clerics don't get a huge skill list. But being very smart seems to fit with a time cleric, so I'd go with it. Though if you're looking at being melee focused, then it might serve you better in strength or possibly constitution.

Is there any other information you can give us? It would probably help the boards a lot.

*If you get a Satyr cohort named Torgo I will declare this character the coolest thing in the history of forever.

This is the concept thus far.

The character, named Verdandi, is the middle child of thee sisters. (Dunno if triplets or not at this point.)

The trio of sisters are based off the Norse Fates (past, present, future), and my character has the aspect of the present.

The basic concept from the story/campaign standpoint is that the world is on it's last legs. There has been several generations of war between the gods- many of whom are now dead. The astral plane has imploded upon itself, and the foundations of magic have been damaged. (Null magic and wild magic zones are not rare.)

The sisters of time (I suggested calling them the Wyrd Sisters) had a vision of some sort- the DM has not revealed if it was a vision of a future where the world is restored, or a future of destruction, but either way, there were key players in either ensuring the better future or preventing the destruction of everything.

Verdandi has taken the initiative to find and bring together these fated individuals in order to guide and protect them, doing what is possible in the present to ensure the best possible future.

I want to go the buff/ support and healing route, and am pretty sure that cloistered cleric is a good way to start the build. (Hence the high Int for a cleric.)

My DM basically just granted me a passive ability that will allow me to shift my initiative to just before or just after a willing party member, since my character is always 'in the present.' He is trusting me to not abuse it, and I intend to live up to that.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases