D&D 5E Cleric Tier Ratings

I've only played a couple clerics but I've DMed for all but Trickery and Grave. Of the ones I've seen I don't think any are deserving of D tier. Even C tier feels like a stretch but when comparing across subclasses I do think some meet their thematic potential better and are deserving of the A tier. I would put Tempest as my only S tier but I know I'm biased towards it.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I've only played a couple clerics but I've DMed for all but Trickery and Grave. Of the ones I've seen I don't think any are deserving of D tier. Even C tier feels like a stretch but when comparing across subclasses I do think some meet their thematic potential better and are deserving of the A tier. I would put Tempest as my only S tier but I know I'm biased towards it.

Light domain also deserves S tier!

Impose disadvantage to an attack roll (Wis times per day) is strong early. by 6th level, do it to any ally within 30'.

A 30' AoE that's ally friendly starting at 2nd level.

Strong domain spells. Faerie Fire is excellent, and they even get fireball.

And it may be boring but Wisdom to cantrip damage is a decent buff (though 8th level is a bit late).

Overall very strong.

Zardnaar

Legend

Impose disadvantage to an attack roll (Wis times per day) is strong early. by 6th level, do it to any ally within 30'.

And it may be boring but Wisdom to cantrip damage is a decent buff (though 8th level is a bit late).

Overall very strong.

Light domain is indeed A tier, preaching to the converted.

Overall very strong.
I figured if S tier is "best of the best", as OP puts it, then I can only give it to one and for me that's Tempest (I shouldn't have included the "my only" bit of my original post since it doesn't accurately reflect what I meant to say). However, you wouldn't find me disagreeing if you put Light as S tier. I see it as one of the best examples of theme and mechanics coming together in 5e.

Zardnaar

Legend
Light Domain.

Spoiled at S tier for all the reasons mentioned above.

The subclass is basically fire and radiant damage with virtually every ability being good to great.

It has a lot of the best fire damage spells along with the typical cleric radiant options so resistance to fire isn't hard to get around.

A useful bonus cantrip and warding flare is a decent defensive ability.

Channel Divinity is also a great ability. It's true it doesn't scale that great but consider when you get it. 2d10 damage+cleric level that refreshes on a short rest (twice at level 6). It's also radiant damage.

In effect it's roughly equivalent to a level 2 spell that ignores spell resistance.

And you get potent cantrip. Due to the way cantrips scale by level 8 you're better off using them vs weapons anyway. This just solidifies.

The stupid thing is despite being built as a blaster it's no slouch in melee. You're just better off in melee using spells and abilities vs weapons.

For these reasons light domain thematically and mechanically the light cleric goes into S tier.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Nature Domain

The nature domain received high marks thematically. It's spell list has several druid spells and a druid cantrip. Your channel divinity can charm plants. Thematically great, probably won't use it much in a real game.

Dampen elements is a great ability. It's an at will absorb elements but better as you can use it in allies and it can't be dispelled.

Finally it's Divine strike is versatile. You have the choice if three elemental types. Useful for getting around resistances.

Surprisingly the nature cleric is one of the few I consider that can wade into melee with a weapon and do alright. This is because you can pick up shillagh via the druid list and key all your attacks off wisdom which is great with the usual cleric spells spiritual guardians/weapon.

So thematically and mechanically the nature cleric stacks up. It's let down a bit by it's spells and channel divinity. Overall it's a B tier domain.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Tempest Domain.

At first glance Tempest domain is great. It has a decent spell list, martial weapons and is full of thematically appropriate things to do. High marks for it's theme.

However it's a hot mess mechanically and doesn't know what to do with itself. It's a hybrid between melee and a blaster cleric. Overall it tends more towards melee IMHO.

Wrath of the storm it a reasonably small amount of damage situational on being hit. When combined with martial weapons and heavy armor it leans heavily towards this IMHO. It also doesn't scale.

The tempest cleric gets destructive wrath as it's channel divinity. You can maximise any thunder or lightning damage. This is best used on you spells which for the most part means thunder wave, shatter or call lightning.

Call lightning doesn't work outside, thunder wave not the best and loud, this mostly means shatter. It's a blaster ability but you can it use it on somewhat weak spells. Pity you got call lightning instead if lightning bolt.

It's a blaster ability while your other abilities lean towards melee. MAD here we come. Thunderbolt strike is ok, you can push something 10' when you deal lightning damage. Then you realise you only have two sources of lightning damage, call lightning and wrath if the storm. Derp.

Your Divine strike is thunder damage, one of the better damage types to deal. The problem being MAD. You will want a decent constitution, wisdom and strength to have an effective tempest cleric.

Overall I would rate this as a B tier domain. If you use rolled stats and have high ability scores or gauntlets of ogre power this domain can sneak up to A tier. However you are still outclassed by the S tier domains with the same ability scores.

Stalker0

Legend
Tempest Domain.

Overall I would rate this as a B tier domain.

I agree. On paper Tempest seems stupidly awesome. But I have seen two Tempest clerics in my time, and though they are "fine", the maximize power is not as juicy as it might look, and meanwhile other domains get a lot of nice stuff.

Remove ads