• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Clerics of Life: Broken, Bad Design, or Working as Intended?

Multiclass Druid/Cleric with Disciple of Life and Goodberry adds 3 hp to the Goodberry spell and the land Druid can recover its spells to spam a lot of level 1 healing spells.
Adding 3hp to the Goodberry spell doesn't necessarily add 3hp to each berry. RAW, it might not do anything at all (since the spell doesn't heal anything, and is just creating an item which does the healing). RAI, I believe there were suggestions that it just created three more berries.

You can't blame shenanigans for being overpowered when those shenanigans are open to interpretation and less powerful interpretations exist.

Tormyr

Hero
Multiclass Druid/Cleric with Disciple of Life and Goodberry adds 3 hp to the Goodberry spell and the l;and Druid can recover its spells to spam a lot of level 1 healing spells.

That is why I said something about the lore bard as the Bard can steal goodberry and aura of vitalit which heals 2d6 hp per round ofr 10 round or 2d6+7 for 10 rounds with disciple of life. Tha heals around 140 damage per level 3 spell slot while each goodberry spell heals 40.

I think the multiclass Druid/Life Cleric is the best healer in the game or the other way around not sure.

Just a nitpick, but Disciple of Life only works when you use a 1st level or higher spell to restore hit points to a creature. I don't think that goodberry counts in this case as the spell creates berries. The berries do restore 1 hp on consumption, but it is a rather roundabout way to say that the Life Cleric is using a spell to heal a creature.

the Jester

Legend
I would say that this is an extension of the "bonuses from the same type of source do not stack." That is listed under "Combining Magical Effects" in the PHB. So 10 Paladins clustered do not each give each other the additional +1 to saving throws from the stacked auras, but a Paladin could have +1 from his aura, +1 from a ring of protection, +1 from a different kind of source, etc.

Umm... he was responding to the multiclassed lore bard post, not the stacking paladin bonus post.

Tormyr

Hero
Umm... he was responding to the multiclassed lore bard post, not the stacking paladin bonus post.
Follow the trackback links on each post reply and check again. :)

The source of that portion of the thread was [MENTION=6778085]Chocolategravy[/MENTION] 's post about multiple paladins in reply to me.

the Jester

Legend

The source of that portion of the thread was [MENTION=6778085]Chocolategravy[/MENTION] 's post about multiple paladins in reply to me.

Oh, okay, my bad- it looked like you were replying to the same post I replied to.

Zardnaar

Legend
Adding 3hp to the Goodberry spell doesn't necessarily add 3hp to each berry. RAW, it might not do anything at all (since the spell doesn't heal anything, and is just creating an item which does the healing). RAI, I believe there were suggestions that it just created three more berries.

You can't blame shenanigans for being overpowered when those shenanigans are open to interpretation and less powerful interpretations exist.

RAW it works read the spell and disciple of life and RAI it works as they asked Jeremy on twitter if that combo works and he agreed.

Zardnaar

Legend
Just a nitpick, but Disciple of Life only works when you use a 1st level or higher spell to restore hit points to a creature. I don't think that goodberry counts in this case as the spell creates berries. The berries do restore 1 hp on consumption, but it is a rather roundabout way to say that the Life Cleric is using a spell to heal a creature.

See the previous post and reread goodberry and DoL the combo works both RAW and RAI.

Note that the paladin aura in the DMG especially states, that you can only benefit from one aura at a time. I believe we will soon see an errata for stacking rules of those auras or magical effects in general.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

RAW it works read the spell and disciple of life and RAI it works as they asked Jeremy on twitter if that combo works and he agreed.

I think Jeremy is incorrect. The way I read it, is that the Disciple of Life "adds...to a spell". The Goodberry spell creates up to 10 berries. Those berries heal you a point when you eat them. How DoL is written, it would not affect the Goodberry spell because the spell doesn't do any healing...it just creates berries. I would liken it to a "summon potion of healing" type spell; if that spell created/summoned 1d4 potions of healing, you wouldn't expect that a DoL cleric would get to add his bonuses to the amount of healing cured by the potions, would you? Of course not...the potions have been summoned by the spell...they weren't created by the spell.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads