D&D 5E Climbing walls etc?

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Here's another one to ponder: all knowledge skills are based on Intelligence. Does that automatically make the wizard more knowledgeable about religion than the cleric, or about nature than the druid or ranger? :unsure:

Am i missing something? my rogue needs to climb a wall -theres no dexterity bonus instead its a skill based on strength?

Yes. It's been that way since 3rd Edition.

Here's another one to ponder: all knowledge skills are based on Intelligence. Does that automatically make the wizard more knowledgeable about religion than the cleric, or about nature than the druid or ranger? :unsure:

If the wizard is trained in those skills, and has the same proficiency/rank/level, etc, then yes. (Survival is Wisdom-based in 3e, and Nature is Wisdom-based in 4e. I guess they made it Int-based in 5e.)

Horwath

Legend
This is one reason that every background should have expertise in one of the background skills/tools and maybe even every class one expertise in one class skill.
That way, cleric can start with +4 religion plus int if he/she chooses so.

Also, you can rule that cleric always have advantage on Religion checks when dealing with patron deity and/or auto succeeds every check 15 or lower about patron deity.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
This is one reason that every background should have expertise in one of the background skills/tools and maybe even every class one expertise in one class skill.
I did this in my current campaign. Reworked the Backgrounds and gave Expertise on one of the two skills they got. It's been fine.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I also have a house rule that says if the PC can complete a climb in a single movement (usually 30' up... due to a 30' move / 30' Dash that are both halved due to climbing) the player can roll DEX (Acrobatics) for it to represent parkouring up the wall.

If the climb is farther than 30' though, then it means the PC has to actually climb over several rounds and that's when they have to use STR (Athletics)... as I interpret it as they actually having to use their arms and legs to support their weight going up the wall, rather than just the upward momentum that the Acrobatics parkour climb can give them.

Oofta

Legend
Depending on the situation there are times I allow an acrobatics check to climb. If you've ever seen Jackie Chan do that "climb a wall by bouncing off two walls at a corner to get to the top.

But sorry. High dex does not grant you the world. It's already the most overvalued ability score in the game as it is.

but they should give you the option. 5th edition is all about not pidgeon holing you into a spot (dex rogues and strength rogues ).

Agreed with clerics and knowledge. really feels like a miss

Oofta

Legend
but they should give you the option. 5th edition is all about not pidgeon holing you into a spot (dex rogues and strength rogues ).

Agreed with clerics and knowledge. really feels like a miss
If it's really an issue you can specialize and you'll be decent. If you're the DM ask for a dexterity check adding your athletics proficiency.

Nobody said the game was perfect and sometimes there are tradeoffs. Go strength instead of dex and you will have inferior initiative and dexterity saves which is typically the most common one called for. Your choices of ranged attacks will be significantly worse.

Strength buys very little in the game if you're not a barbarian or in a game that closely tracks encumbrance.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases