Cloud of Knives kills minions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SadisticFishing

First Post
That is very curious logic. If it truly offends you, I encourage you to house rule things for your game. A lot of players don't like cloud of daggers anyways, so that will possibly just put a lock on the wizard not taking it, really removing the problem from your game.

It is not curious at all. It is a straight forward reading of the rules.

My only assumption is that the effect is part of the attack. Which it is.

None of that matters. Thanks for the quote, it proves my point.

Here are the premises:

A) Cloud of Knives is an attack.

B) Minions take no damage from a missed attack.

C) The fact that Cloud of Knives creates an effect does not change the fact that it is an attack.

Hence, if Cloud of Knives misses, the minion takes no damage from the Effect, as it is part of a missed attack.

What if no attack roll is made? And then the Minion wanders in? Then its not a missed attack.

Or hey, lets say, Wizard Cloud of Daggers Goblin leader succesfully. Then Goblin lead leaves the cloud, and Goblin minion walks in? Does it take damage then? Its not a missed attack, in fact its still a successful attack by your logic. So this kills the minion, but all other applications of the cloud don't?

Oompa

First Post
Mind giving me a quote? I'm AFB at the moment.

Customer Service has been known to be wrong before. Can you use Lay on Hands on yourself?

Yes you can use lay on hands on yourself.. its target is Creature, and it costs you an HS.. To use it, it costs an surge but as you cannot undo the cost price the surge is lost..

It is indeed an bit weird descriped.. but i think its good.. the paladin is an character that helps others at his own cost..

The Little Raven

First Post

No, it's not. The only entries that are relevant to the attack are the "Hit:" and "Miss:" entries. The "Effect:" entry has no relationship to the attack, because it occurs regardless of whether the attack is successful or not. Cloud of Daggers creates a zone (which is not an attack), which automatically deals damage upon one of two conditions (move into the square or start your turn in the square). No hit or miss involved at all in the zone.

NorthSaber

First Post
None of that matters. Thanks for the quote, it proves my point.

Here are the premises:

A) Cloud of Knives is an attack.

B) Minions take no damage from a missed attack.

C) The fact that Cloud of Knives creates an effect does not change the fact that it is an attack.

Hence, if Cloud of Knives misses, the minion takes no damage from the Effect, as it is part of a missed attack.

I'm not sure what the rules exactly say, but the zone-effect of Cloud of Daggers is an effect that is not tied to the attack roll hit/miss; it is not indented after the "hit" section. I'd say that that's why it still damages the minion - it's not a part of the "miss" section, which minions are immune to damage-wise.

abyssaldeath

First Post
It is not curious at all. It is a straight forward reading of the rules.

Cloud of Knives is an attack spell. Being an attack spell has nothing to do with hit or miss. The miss portion of minions description is specifically referring to powers that have a miss portion like fireball (miss:half damage)or reaping strike (miss: half str damage). Effect is separate from hit or miss unless otherwise stated.

The Little Raven

First Post
I'd say that that's why it still damages the minion - it's not a part of the "miss" section, which minions are immune to damage-wise.

Well, there is no "Miss:" section under the spell, so the "minions don't take damage from a miss" has absolutely zero bearing on this power at all. It's a non-issue entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads