• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CoC-DnD3e-FR] Dead of Winter

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Oskar Dankil, Description of Surroundings
OOC: You are currently standing on a path that leads between Forge One (huge building, roughly 30 ft. tall and stretches 30 ft. back towards the southern foundry wall from where you are standing) and Forges Two (smaller building, about 15 to 20 ft. tall and 12 or so ft. deep) and Three (roughly the same size as Forge Two, maybe even slightly smaller in width, set directly behind Two and about 8 ft. back). The corpse of the dwarf and the broken glass are about 10 ft. south of you, with the Snarling Creature another 20' south of that just about around the corner of Forge Three. If I get a chance, I'll try and post a diagram later this evening.

Last edited:

Rorschach

First Post
Fezzin takes a huge gulp of the ale, and leans in towards Jannah. Taking pains to enunciate, he whispers,

"Who'n might be the Old-Timer over yon? Seems a'bit sauc-ed, no?"

He chuckles to himself. Catching the glance of the old man, he erases the mirth from his face and returns the glare, drawing his eyebrows downward until they nearly touch his cheeks. To the old man:

"C'n I help'y?"

Old Fezziwig

Prologue (Move 3b)

30 Flamerule 1372 DR, Caerrhen, Damara-Impiltur border
It is currently unseasonably warm and uncomfortable in northwestern Impiltur, with uncharacteristically high humidity. There is no noticeable wind.

Daan, Approximately 1310 hours
The tents themselves are typical festival tents, in this case light blue and white striped canvas stretched over a wood and rope frame, held aloft by ropes tethered to wooden spikes. Currently, there are about four tents up, two partially erected. Thick smoke is exiting from the entry flap of the largest tent, which sits on the southern end of the tent cluster.

Three or so workers scuttle away towards Caerrhen yelling for water. The other two that you can see are moving towards the ropes that hold the tent up, brandishing long, serrated knifes (there are three main ones). Seeing you approach, one of the men, distinguished by a jagged scar over his left eye that falls down onto his cheek, calls out, "Say, you! Cut the other rope!"

OOC: Next move due by tomorrow evening! Preferably fairly early so I won't be up all night ;).

Last edited:

drs

First Post
Zichard thanks Draegor, Jannah, and Arnich, nevertheless. While Fezzin questions the miner, Zichard shifts his view to the main entry and then lowers his head, making an effort to ignore the drunk.

Last edited:

bluegreenone

First Post
As Daan approached the men with knives, he examined the situation. Cutting the tent ropes would collapse the tent and would probably help douse the blaze. But what about anyone who might be inside? Running towards the tent, Dann attempted to get a better look at what was happening inside.

Old Fezziwig

Prologue (Move 4a)

It is currently unseasonably warm and uncomfortable in northwestern Impiltur, with uncharacteristically high humidity. There is no noticeable wind.

Sir Zichard Danilk, Fezzin Verghenheim, Approximately 1115 hours
Draegor and Arnich bow in response to Sir Zichard's thanks and return back to work. As you shift your attention to the door, you can feel the miner's gaze upon your back.

Meanwhile, Jannah winks at Fezzin, and whispers back, "He's not as drunk as he seems, but he's not exactly sober either. Eorgin's fairly harmless...mostly harmless most of the time." The old man, Eorgin, doesn't appear to catch any of this.

At Fezzin's address, he chuckles harshly and looks deep into the dwarf's eyes. He seems much less drunk now, and his voice becomes oddly focused... "At your circle's end you will find..." His voice is drowned out as the crash of breaking glass from the floor above you, coupled with a piercing scream, fill the Tankard.

Daan, Approximately 1310 hours
Smoke billows out from the flap as you inspect the tent more closely. The smell of burning canvas is overwhelming, although you can smell a hint of incense there, too. You can people struggling inside the tent. The two men are already sawing away at the ropes. You can hear one of the ropes begin to sing and break. The scarred man yells over to you again, "You ain't going to do any good inside there! Cut the bloody rope and then the three of us can see what's left inside!"

Oskar Dankil, Approximately 1415 hours
The shaft of light darts out towards the cloaked creature, hitting it square in the back [Magic Missile, 1d4+1 damage, roll on 1d4 = 3+1 = 4 hp dmg.]. He roars in pain, rearing back and dropping the hood from his head, revealing scraggly fur, pointy ears, and a rodent-like snout. Your movement closes you to within twenty feet of the rat-thing, which turns and looks at you with a cocked head, snarls, and backs up five feet, putting it flush against the wall. Grimacing in pain, it llashes its studded tongue at you and starts to drag its body up the wall. [At the end of the round, the rat-thing is approximately 7 ft. up the wall, which lies 25 ft. away from you.]

OOC for perivas and novyet: I will post your information as Move 4b either tomorrow night or whenever I get it. No penalties, no problems, no repercussions for either Ezra or Yanis — I just need to do this now before it gets too late and/or we get thunderstorms here in Boston. Thanks, guys.

OOC: Once again, I invite commentary and (maybe more importantly) criticism over in the OOC thread. Also, if you ever find something incorrect in my math or a rule issue, please bring it up. I'm pretty sure I'm set here, but one never knows (he said with the PHB open in front of him). Next move Saturday!

Last edited:

bluegreenone

First Post
Not sure of the intentions of the men and the effectivness of their plan, Daan drew a deep breath, drew his cloak about him, and ran into the tent's opening about 5 feet to determine what was happening inside and see if anyone was close enough to be reached.

perivas

First Post
"Did you see that?! By the grace of Tymora! What hideousness!" Seeing Karok's expression, Yanis gathers his composure and clumsily changes the subject. He gestures towards the object Karok is holding and speaks up. "Another find of treasure already! I seemed to have underestimated you, my boy. But less words this time. Okay? Mind if I have a little peek though." Yanis extends an open palm toward Karok and moves his fingers in a beckoning motion.

drs

First Post
Zichard gets off his stool in a start and reaches for his short sword, looks over to the inn staff, (presuming they investigate the scream) and follows them up the stairs to the disturbance, unsheathed sword point downwards.

Old Fezziwig

Prologue (Move 4b/Move 5)

OOC: This move is move 4b for perivas and novyet, and move 5 for everyone else.

Yanis Princetonson, Approximately 0915 hours
Karok looks at you hesitantly, shrugs, and hands it over to you. Quietly, he tells you that he found it "in the old house on the southeastern edge of the village." The item itself is a golden chain with an obsidian spike hanging from it, attached by a topaz crown clasp. You can see tiny yellow runes etched into the spike.

Sir Zichard Danilk, Fezzin Verghenheim, Approximately 1115 hours
[Roll Initiative to see who reacts first: Zichard gets a 17 (roll of 18 + (-1 Dex)) and Fezzin gets a 1 (roll of 2 + (-1 Dex)).] Zichard is the first one up the stairs, quickly followed by Draegor. The dormitory door is open, and you can see a clearly distraught woman pointing out towards a window on the eastern wall. "My baby!" Broken glass litters the floor just below the window.

Daan, Approximately 1310 hours, Round 1 in Tent
The tent is roughly square, measuring approximately 15 ft. by 15 ft. The smoke is overwhelmingly thick, and obscures just about everything over waist level. [OOC Note: I'm assuming Daan is holding his breath at the moment based on your last post.] You can roughly make out two shapes struggling, one roughly human sized and the other slightly smaller. The source of the flames and smoke is completely unclear from where you are. The two shapes grunt and you can make out the intermittent sound of fist hitting flesh.

Last edited:

Remove ads