Cocktails

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Some recent thoughts-

1. Mahia (a fig-based eau de vie) is tasty and makes an interesting substitution for standard spirits in cocktails.

2. Berta Amaro (from Distillerie Berta) is exquisite. Especially the Selezione d'Erbe. Or the Via San Nicolao.

3. You know when you're in a place that serves good cocktails. If you don't know ... you're not in one. Don't order a cocktail. Or if you do, save yourself some time and just ask for a lukewarm glass of sadness.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
3. You know when you're in a place that serves good cocktails. If you don't know ... you're not in one. Don't order a cocktail. Or if you do, save yourself some time and just ask for a lukewarm glass of sadness.
Oh man, like the places the bartenders reach for splenda packets?
1669843201939.jpeg

How'd I miss this thread, I love mixing cocktails!

One of my favorites is the Lena, from Eddie Tirado's 1972 Cocktails and Mixed Drinks (a must in my book for cocktail aficionados):
  • 2 oz. Bourbon
  • 1 oz. Sweet Vermouth
  • .5 oz. Dry Vermouth
  • .5 oz. Campari
  • .5 oz. Galliano
  • Cherry garnish
Those are my proportions - the book lists each ingredient in fractions rather than in ounces, but this is what works for me. If you go smaller, I find the smaller ingredients tend to get lost.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Working my way through Ruhlman's Ratios cocktail book. Like his Ratios book on cooking, it's a fantastic education. My wife and I are working our way through the book, trying each category as we come to them. Highly recommended. This is arguably the main cocktail book anyone needs at home, with more specialized books (like Sippin' Safari or one of the more comprehensive cocktail recipe books) being used as appendices, based on personal tastes.

Also, today is my first time having a Luxardo cocktail cherry, and holy crap, how have I -- a cherry fan -- gone this long without them?

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
And here we are, nearly a year later, and the Negroni STILL evades me!
I adore Negronis. Have you not had time to try it or have you not had one you enjoyed? If you like whisky, the Boulevardier is worth trying. You may know this, but it's a Negroni with rye instead of gin (all equal parts). I've seen recipes that do 1 1/2 parts rye to 1 part sweet vermouth, 1 part Campari — I tend to find that a heavier hand on the rye tends to push the flavor into Manhattan territory a little bit. Which may or may not be desirable. (I find it to be just fine either way.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I adore Negronis. Have you not had time to try it or have you not had one you enjoyed? If you like whisky, the Boulevardier is worth trying. You may know this, but it's a Negroni with rye instead of gin (all equal parts). I've seen recipes that do 1 1/2 parts rye to 1 part sweet vermouth, 1 part Campari — I tend to find that a heavier hand on the rye tends to push the flavor into Manhattan territory a little bit. Which may or may not be desirable. (I find it to be just fine either way.)
Still haven’t even been able to try one! Every time I order one, I’m told they’re missing an ingredient.

I suspect that this is actually code for “The bartender doesn’t know how to make one” more often than not.🧐

Dioltach

Legend
Still haven’t even been able to try one! Every time I order one, I’m told they’re missing an ingredient.

I suspect that this is actually code for “The bartender doesn’t know how to make one” more often than not.🧐
Ha, I had that just the other day! Went to a restaurant and was told they didn't do cocktails, despite the extensive cocktail menu that was on their website. "There's not much call for them," the waitress told us. The wall behind the bar was covered with shelves of cocktail ingredients and tools. Oh well.

In Lisbon earlier this year, we visited Hard Rock Café and tried their Rhythm & Rosé Mule. An excellent spin on a Moscow Mule, with rosé wine, passion fruit and green tea.

Remove ads