• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cocktails

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Actually... the Spring Equinox, Winter Solstice, Halloween, and July 4th.
giphy.gif

Arnie_Wan_Kenobi

Aspiring Trickster Mentor
Also, today is my first time having a Luxardo cocktail cherry, and holy crap, how have I -- a cherry fan -- gone this long without them?
Amazing, for sure. I was inspired and I now make 'em. Luxardo's not super expensive, cherries have been dirt cheap this summer, and I found a base recipe online that I've made a few modifications to. I have a few friends that now get jars every year and they're great to have on hand as a host gift/housewarming. Next batch, I'm going to figure out how to thicken thet leftover syrup to make an ice cream topping out of it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Amazing, for sure. I was inspired and I now make 'em. Luxardo's not super expensive, cherries have been dirt cheap this summer, and I found a base recipe online that I've made a few modifications to. I have a few friends that now get jars every year and they're great to have on hand as a host gift/housewarming. Next batch, I'm going to figure out how to thicken thet leftover syrup to make an ice cream topping out of it.
That is a great idea. I live in citrus and hot pepper country, not cherry country, but we might be moving north in the next few years. I will definitely be trying this when the time comes.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Recipe, please

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you really want to have a Negroni, might I suggest making one at home.

A few tips-

1. You need Campari, obviously. There's only one Campari, so no worries there.

2. For the gin, I would recommend a London Dry. You don't want to go well (no "Mr. Boston's") but any mid-tier one should be fine- you don't need to go with some type of high-falutin' type. Broker's is awesome, and even regular Tanqueray or Beefeater is perfectly acceptable.

3. On the other hand, don't skimp on the vermouth. Get a real, sweet, red Italian vermouth (or "Italian-style" from a reputable vendor). I recommend Carpano Antica Formula, but if you aren't paying at least $20 a bottle, you're probably getting crud and it won't make for a good drink.

Finally, the orange peel is a must. Make sure to actually twist it over the drink to express the oils- it makes a huge difference. Oh, and don't be James Bond. You want this drink stirred, not shaken.
Thanks for the tips. Alas, I am a lazy mixologist AT BEST. Our family’s recipe book is gathering dust.

Mostly, my home consumption of liquors & other spirits is either neat, on the rocks, and a very limited number of actual cocktails. Spiked eggnog, as mentioned. Cafe Oscar (without the whipped cream- sometimes splashing a little milk or cream). Whiskey or Amaretto sours. Icepicks. Screwdrivers. The odd G&T. Not much else.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Thanks for the tips. Alas, I am a lazy mixologist AT BEST. Our family’s recipe book is gathering dust.

Mostly, my home consumption of liquors & other spirits is either neat, on the rocks, and a very limited number of actual cocktails. Spiked eggnog, as mentioned. Cafe Oscar (without the whipped cream- sometimes splashing a little milk or cream). Whiskey or Amaretto sours. Icepicks. Screwdrivers. The odd G&T. Not much else.

So, good news on that front. Negronis are really easy to make at home.

All you need to do is invest in a bottle of London Dry Gin (you can get Booker's for $20 or so, depending on the area), a bottle of Campari (~$30, but you can usually find it for a little less if you look), and a bottle of good Italian sweet red vermouth ($20-$30). I forgot to mention this, but make sure you refrigerate your vermouth after opening- it is a wine, after all (it should last three months or so). Campari and gin, of course, don't have that issue.

Negronis are equal parts- one part gin to one part vermouth to one part Campari. Stir. Ideally, you should use one of those giant ice cubes you'll find at a good cocktail bar to fill the glass, but for home purposes you can use regular ice cubes- just don't use crushed ice or anything similar as that will dilute it too quickly.

The hardest part, if you call it that, is peeling the orange (you're trying to avoid the pith) and giving it a twist to express the oils- and while I highly recommend that, it's not 100% necessary if you're starting out.

It really is a great starter for a lazy mixologist to learn how to make a complex cocktail. If you like it, you can always play around with different types of gin or vermouth. And if you don't like it, you can repurpose the bottles. Gin goes into a G&T. Campari can be used in a Campari & Soda or Campari & OJ. And the vermouth can always be used in a Vermouth Spritz. :)

Arnie_Wan_Kenobi

Aspiring Trickster Mentor

For "something different," I'd suggest the Revolver:
1.3 oz Bulleit Bourbon
.33 oz coffee liquor
2 dashes Orange Bitters
Garnish with orange peel.
Add to class and stir, strain into chilled glass.

The Revolver is a delightful drink. Coffee liquor is such a workhorse ingredient. Right now I'm a fan of the After Five, slightly modified - Irish whiskey (it normally calls for Bailey's, but I prefer it this way), Kahlua, and peppermint schnapps.

R_J_K75

Legend
With me, the "Y" comes the following morning. Usually in the combination "Y-O-Y did I drink so much?"
Just one more reason to wake up and start drinking again.

When I was 15 or 16 someone gave me a drink of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum mixed with regular Mountain Dew and I thought it was the best mixed drink ever. I know it sounds gross, but it really was good. I haven't drunk it in over 30 years though but in the hands of someone with a more refined palette and knowledge of mixology they could probably make something great with it by adding a few more ingredients.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
So, good news on that front. Negronis are really easy to make at home.

All you need to do is invest in a bottle of London Dry Gin (you can get Booker's for $20 or so, depending on the area), a bottle of Campari (~$30, but you can usually find it for a little less if you look), and a bottle of good Italian sweet red vermouth ($20-$30). I forgot to mention this, but make sure you refrigerate your vermouth after opening- it is a wine, after all (it should last three months or so). Campari and gin, of course, don't have that issue.

Negronis are equal parts- one part gin to one part vermouth to one part Campari. Stir. Ideally, you should use one of those giant ice cubes you'll find at a good cocktail bar to fill the glass, but for home purposes you can use regular ice cubes- just don't use crushed ice or anything similar as that will dilute it too quickly.

The hardest part, if you call it that, is peeling the orange (you're trying to avoid the pith) and giving it a twist to express the oils- and while I highly recommend that, it's not 100% necessary if you're starting out.

It really is a great starter for a lazy mixologist to learn how to make a complex cocktail. If you like it, you can always play around with different types of gin or vermouth. And if you don't like it, you can repurpose the bottles. Gin goes into a G&T. Campari can be used in a Campari & Soda or Campari & OJ. And the vermouth can always be used in a Vermouth Spritz. :)
Of all the popular drinks, this is one I don't like. Compari and I don't agree for some reason.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads