rooster_grande.jpg

Artist: Dan Chen.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This thread lacks pics.
A dead soldier, no longer available.

This was the ginger spirit I discovered made the PERFECT spiked eggnog. The results were like drinking a frosted gingerbread cookie. But Art in the Age ran into legal troubles and ceased making its line of spirits. (Shame, too, because Root- a root tea was freaking fantastic.)

Captain Morgan’s was OK, but now my go-to is King’s Ginger.

Last edited:

This was the ginger spirit I discovered made the PERFECT spiked eggnog. The results were like drinking a frosted gingerbread cookie. But Art in the Age ran into legal troubles and ceased making its line of spirits. (Shame, too, because Root- a root tea was freaking fantastic.)

I wondered what happened to Art in the Age. That is a bummer!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

Mallus

Legend
A dead soldier, no longer available.

Captain Morgan’s was OK, but now my go-to is King’s Ginger.

I miss Sage. We used an empty bottle as a flower vase for years and to replace the gin in a Negroni. Could never figure out what to do with Root, though, drink-wise.

I remember when Art in the Age opened in Old City and people were like "what is this?". Or at least I was.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I miss Sage. We used an empty bottle as a flower vase for years and to replace the gin in a Negroni. Could never figure out what to do with Root, though, drink-wise.

I remember when Art in the Age opened in Old City and people were like "what is this?". Or at least I was.
Before Snap, Root was one of my faves for eggnog. But I liked it on the rocks, too.

OTOH, I’m still struggling with using Sage.

(I also have some Root stashed…maybe one last bottle of Snap, too.)

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
(I also have some Root stashed…maybe one last bottle of Snap, too.)
we also have a stash of one other discontinued spirit: Navan vanilla cognac.

We loved it, and found out it was being discontinued shortly after we had bought some bottles to give as Christmas gifts. After Christmas, we were able to find one store that still had some bottles and bought them all.

We also started looking for a replacement. We found Meukow, which IS really good…but is a pale shadow of Navan.

My go-to with Root was this lovely nerdy cocktail:

The Hobbit:

2 oz Bulleit Bourbon
1/2 oz Root
1/4 oz Lillet
1/4 oz Creme de Violette

Stir with ice and then pour into a Brandy snifter. Garnish with sage a blossom.

The recipe calls for a light smoking with tobacco smoke, but I generally omitted that part. I could see using a regular smoker, though.

Remove ads