D&D 5E Coin sizes

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I've done a lot of research on this issue and I have developed fairly complex, fairly historically accurate coin systems and well... you know what? It just gets in the way. It doesn't seem to make the game more fun for the players.

What I've done is a two speed system. One layer is the "unit of account". You find 300 rupee's worth of coin. That prize horse is worth 7 000 rupee. There is a 25 000 rupee reward for the return of the prince.

Only when the *actual coins* manners do we get into details - anna coins are being forged. This merchant demands only Mohurs. etc

More detail in this thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...d/page4&p=7182821&highlight=rupee#post7182821

aco175

Legend
I also found that this is something my group skims over, but looking at past posts it seems that other groups are more exact than me. If there is a dragon hoard, I may play a bit with taking some treasure and getting some wagons and such to come back for more and by the time the 3rd trip has begun the rest of the hoard was taken from others. Day to day stuff gets blown off. Even paying for food and lodging gets mostly like, "I'm just crossing off a few gold for the inn, oh and I want a bath". Now my son is new to the game is expenses every copper and splits his fair share out of everything. I seem to remember doing this in middle school as well.

Remove ads