Combat ends, a person is still -hp what happens ?

Evenglare

Adventurer
Pretty much the topic says it all. One of my guys was negative HP when the battle ended. What happens after the battle is over to the person who is dying?

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
I would assume that one of the other party members went over to stabilize him. If they just leave him to bleed out, he'd probably eventually die.

In other words, the rules of death and dying don't change just because the combat "ends".

Vrecknidj

Explorer
The DM checks to see if there are any surviving party members. If yes, the DM says "So, the living party member figures out how to stabilize everyone. Lucky you."

And then they get ready for the next encounter.

Because dead isn't fun.

Dave

Ander00

First Post
Vrecknidj is right. To be more specific (PHB, page 295):
Lower than 10: You slip one step closer to death. If you get this result three times before you take a rest, you die.
Odd wording? Sure. In any case, once the encounter is over, you should not worry about this kind of thing.

cheers

zlorf

First Post
I think you still have to worry. Our first gaming session has a similar scenario, where the combat ended and one player was dying. It took 3 rounds for the 3 other players to roll a DC 15 check to stabilise the dying character. Luckly the dying character made his dying saves.
The party didnt have a cleric or a warlord at the time.

Cheers
Z

Ander00 said:
Vrecknidj is right. To be more specific (PHB, page 295):
Odd wording? Sure. In any case, once the encounter is over, you should not worry about this kind of thing.

cheers

Ander00

First Post
You can certainly interpret it so that if you happen to get back up and then knocked unconscious again, the failed death saving throws from previous times carry over. I choose to interpret it as automatically stabilizing when the encounter is over (just assuming your allies come to your aid, and without the distractions of combat automatically succeed in saving you from the brink of death).

Because bleeding to death after a battle that is already won due to some botched die rolls? Not very heroic/fun. YMMV.

cheers

Oompa

First Post
I would let the initiative continue, the chance of succes is vey big but still there needs to be an risk..

The players need to understand that death is an bad thing and dont think to easy about it..

Otherwise you will get this:

Player1: I fall unconscious, bleeding heavily
Player2: Ohhh we are almost done, we just have to finish the fight in a few rounds..
*3 rounds later*
Player2: Dang it, why wont the monster fall..
Player3: You had 2 bad rolls didnt you? Ill come..
DM: You move closer but cannot reach him
Player1: Rolls, an 8.. You hear me gurgeling for breath and then i lie down motionless..
Player 2 and 3: Dang it, we thought we could kill this creature sooner, sorry man..

Ander00

First Post
Oompa said:
I would let the initiative continue, the chance of succes is vey big but still there needs to be an risk..
Sure.

So, how is what you describe not a risk?

Anyway, not saying it's badwrongfun for everyone to keep rolling, but the other option works better for our group. Even not taking into account our abysmal luck with such things, being only three players, there would be fewer rolls to go around when the need arises.

cheers

Remove ads