• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Combat revision

OK heres the idea:

Forget everything you know about combat.

Each class gets points equal to 3/2s of their old BAB to spend on either attack or defense. These abilities determine which routines you can use, and how many you can use per round (see below)

The 5x5 grid is separated into a smaller 1x1 grid(size is unchanged)

Routines are separated into two categories attack and defense

[sblock=attack]attack routines have thew following characteristics:
level: the minimum number of ranks in attack the character can have to use this routine

Range: The number of adjacent squares an attack affects. Each adjacent 1x1 square in addition to the first adds 1 to the level and each ot adjacent 1x1 square adds 2 to the level.

Target: Can be high, middle right, middle left, middle, low right or low left, each target above one adds 3 to the level

Damage: Each d6 above the first adds 1 to the level(modify to d8 for two handed weapons and d4 for light) and increaseing the die by one step increases the level by 5.

Movement: the amount of movement before the attack is made: Equal to half the amount of level increase because of damage[/sblock]

[sblock=defense]
Defense Routines have the following characteristics:

Level: the minimum ranks in defense to use this routine

Target: Can be high, middle right, middle left, middle, low right or low left, each target above one adds 3 to the level

Damage resisted: Each d6 increases the level by one. Decreasing your opponents damage die(d10->d8->d6->d4->d2)

Movement: Each foot of movement increases the level by one[/sblock]

[sblock=A round of Combat]
In the beginning of combat initiative is roled(1d20+dex+feats) whoever goes first declares their action (attack routine) for the first part of the round to someone not controlling the target. The target roles a routine check (1d20+routine level)opposed by the targets routine check to identify the attack routine(failure by 10 or more indicates a misconception) then declares his coounteraction(defense routine). Then the next person in the initiative order goes and so on and so forth.[/sblock]

Comments?

Too Long?

Last edited:

It would be alot easier to make comments if you had sample routines and a narrative example..

As it stands, I can not make heads nor tails of what you mean.

It looks kinda like the Dueling rules in an old Dragon that used subjective positioning, each fighter had his own 3x3 grid. By secret ballot you chose a movement and a strike.. with some combinations providing attack or defense bonuses. Each fighter could, on a successful sense motive check, get a clue from the other and shift thier choice a limited amount.
Then both sides revealed thier actions. Often times an attack failed simply because the opponent moved to the opposite side or ducked against a high thrust.

It is a pretty decent.. I need to find it again and update for 3.5
Of course, it is designed for purely one vs one combat as subjective positioning gets weird when adding a third point.

Your system appears to intend the same depth of detail in the attack/parry/riposte.. which could be good, or it could slow the {already slow} combat sequence down.

Of course, you would have to be a little more descriptive before any useful comments can be made.

Ok one round of Combat:

Vaerl is a fifth level fighter who wields a rapier and put three points into attack and four into defense.
Alfred is also a fifth level fighter who wields a longsword and shield and put four points into attack and three into defense.
They are standing 10 feet apart.

Both Alfred and Vaerl roll initiative, Vaerl rolls an 8 plus his DEX of 2 for a total of ten; Alfred rolls a 12 plus his DEX of 1 for a total of 13

Alfred decides to move five feet closer to Vaerl. Vaerl closes the five feet to Alfred and slashes at his feet from the left, he passes his attack check with a roll of 9 and his defense ranks 3 and his strength of 2 for a total of 14 against the DC, 13 (3d6 damage + 2)

Alfred rolls a defense check (15+3+1(WIS)=19) check opposed by Vaerl's attack check (15+3+1(WIS)=19). Alfred equals Vaerl's roll so he knows one element of the target(lower)

Alfred responds by lowering his shield to ward of the damage, he passes his defense check with a roll of 13 plus his defense ranks 3 plus his dexterity modifier 1 for a total of 17 against DC 16 (3d6 and two targets). Vaerl rolls a 4 a 6 a 2 and a 2(STR) for a total of 12, Alfred rolls a 4 a 3 and a 3 for a total of 10. Alfred takes 4 damage.

MtG2001... that desciption is missing alot of detail, How to you come up with the DC's? How does knowing an element of an attack help? Isn't that alot of math to get 'you hit him'?

I don't want to diss the concept as in theory it sounds pretty cool.. its the mechanics I am confounded on. :)

Sravoff

First Post
I did, I think, a similar system. In mine, everyone got attack and defense for weapon groups. Yours seems a bit more tactical, and I am far to tired to go throught right now. But I'll look at it tommorrow.

There is a link to mine in my sig if you want to take a look.

-Sravoff

Ok let me try again:

Vaerl and Alfred are fighting again

Both Alfred and Vaerl roll initiative, Vaerl rolls an 8 plus his DEX of 2 for a total of 10; Alfred rolls a 12 plus his DEX of 1 for a total of 13

Alfred decides to move five feet closer to Vaerl.

Vaerl chooses to add 3d6 damage(each d6 increases the routine by 1 level). He adds 5 feet of free movement (because he added 3d6 so he gets up to 6 feet(2x three)) and chooses to attack only the lower left side(+ 0 level). He rolls an attack check(d20+STR+Attack Level (in this case 9+3+2=14)) of 14 and succesfully executes his attack (DC: 10+level of routine (in this case 10+3=13))

Alfred rolls a defense check (d20+DEX+Defense Level (in this case 14+3+2=19) check opposed by Vaerl's attack check (d20+STR+Attack Level (in this case 14+3+2=19). Alfred equals Vaerl's roll so he knows one element of the attack'starget(attacker reveals whether the attack targets upper, lower, left, or right (in this case lower))

Alfred chooses to subtract 3d6 damage(each d6 increases the routine by 1 level). He chooses to defend both the lower left side and the lower right side(each target after the first increases the level by three(in this case +3 level)). He rolls an defense check(d20+DEX+Defense Level (in this case 13+3+1=17)) of 17 and succesfully executes his defense (DC: 10+level of routine (in this case 10+6=16))

Since the attack is targeting an area blocked by the defense(lower left) the defense succesfully intercepts the attack.

The attacker(in this case Vaerl) rolls his damage(3d6+STR (in this case 4+6+2+2=12 )) and gets a 12. Alfred rolls his damage(3d6 (in this case 4+3+3)) and gets a 10. Alfred takes the difference(12-10=2) or 2 damage.

Better?

Thats much better...

Essentially each attack sequence consists of:
Phase 1
. Attacker Move and Strike, DC set by difficulty of the strike
. Success grants damage dice for phase 2
. Defender 'reads' opponent, DC set by Attackers strike roll
. Defender Blocks, DC set by difficult of the block.
. Success grants damage dice for phase 2

Phase 2
. defenders damage roll negates portions or all of attackers damage roll. Any remainder is applied to the defender.

I think this method does emulate the more give and take of combat, but two main issues:

Time. 3.x combat it amazing time consuming as written, this version expands each strike into a full rounds worth of actions on its own.

Ripple effects.... how does this impact other rules such as:
- Armor (does it provide 'soak', how does it hinder defense.. )
- Charging (special attack routines maybe? )
- Traps

Do you have some of these already figured out?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads