D&D 5E Come out and put yourself on the Gygax scale!

Uchawi

First Post
To survive the test of time G3 should be the goal, but then it goes up and down like the stock market. What I see break games more is different interests, i.e. what type of story does everyone expect at the table. And optimizer or role-player will both fail equally if they are not interested.

OB1

Jedi Master
I really don't like how that implies that I'm less committed to story than some people and less inclined towards mechanics than others. I believe you're setting up a false dichotomy.

It's meant to show the opposite, that you are equally committed to both. Think of it like this.

G0 - 100% Story, 0% Mechanics
G1 - 100% Story, 25% Mechanics
G2 - 100% Story, 75% Mechanics
G3 - 100% Story, 100% Mechanics
G4 - 75% Story, 100% Mechanics
G5 - 25% Story, 100% Mechanics
G6 - 0% Story, 100% Mechanics

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
It's meant to show the opposite, that you are equally committed to both. Think of it like this.

G0 - 100% Story, 0% Mechanics
G1 - 100% Story, 25% Mechanics
G2 - 100% Story, 75% Mechanics
G3 - 100% Story, 100% Mechanics
G4 - 75% Story, 100% Mechanics
G5 - 25% Story, 100% Mechanics
G6 - 0% Story, 100% Mechanics

Okay, that seems about right. I'm fine with both. :)

edit: Just to explain my initial reaction, your scale gave me the impression that you thought story and mechanics each needed to be kept in check for the other to flourish.

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

Def a G2 for me. Mechanics matter, but if the story is sufficiently engaging to make me overlook or not even notice mechanics issues then I don't care. I would rather role-play out a resolution to any given situation, provided of course there is a general decorum of honesty between players and DM about either sides capabilities in the situation.

Raith5

Adventurer
You need the right mechanics to back the kind of story you want to tell. I was thinking that I was G2 on this scale, then I thought about some of the vagaries of some 5e rules/rulings (stealth rules for eg) and realised that I am a G4 deep down.

The beauty of 5e is that it does scale well across these different divides. But at times I want a bit more certainty in rules and crunchy options. I mean I did like the way 4e gave resources and mechanics to push the story and combats forward, sure it all got too much, but I did like the solid rules about fairly common game issues and the range of mechanics for all classes.

MechaPilot

Explorer
G2 for me.

G2 for me. Cause sometimes mechanics can get in the way, which is just frustrating.

True, but I will add that mechanics can also really help convey concepts and flavor in a meaningful way, as long as they don't run contrary to the flavor you want to convey.

Remove ads