Coming in May: Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes! [UPDATED!]

So they just gave the title and showed the cover mock-ups; no specific info till Monday?

Most of my campaign worlds only use bits and pieces of standard D&D lore. I already mentioned that I'm not a fan of the Blood War. I tend not to use the Great Wheel cosmology.

And for all that? I shudder at the thought of a purely generic planar book, and I am far more likely to buy this than I would be something that cuts out all the specifics.

The lore is part--and a major, important part--of D&D, like it or not. It's part of what makes the experience a shared one for the audience. More to the point, it's what makes the books interesting, and it's what makes then not just instructional, but inspirational. I have no interest in buying a textbook, and even less in reading through one. I have always maintained, and continue to do so, that a D&D book that fails to inspire stories, to give interesting examples, or to be interesting to read through, has failed just as badly as one that fails to aid in gameplay. Flavor is not secondary to crunch; you need both.

So no, no "generic advice" books, please. You can give advice just as well while framing it within the shared lore that we all know, and on which the game has been built since the beginning.

Juomari Veren

Adventurer
Especially useful for me since my current campaign revolves around Yugoloths taking over the scraps of a planet that was devastated because it served as a battlefield in the Blood War.

I'm hoping for a few more special magic items like how they detailed the Illithid crafted weapons in Volo's.

gyor

Legend
Pass. Like I've passed on everything after the DMG except "Monsters" and that's only because I had store credit at a store going out of business and had to buy something.

Basically a multiversal war version of VGTM. A Chapter on the multiverse and it's major wars, a section of player races (with maybe some other player stuff), and a Chapter on Monsters, it basically is aversion of the MM with a twist.

This will likely be useful for summoners, with new monsters for Conjure X, spells, Summon Demons, Planar Ally, etc...

So far Gish, maybe Shadar Kai, as well as Elven, Dwarf, and Tiefling subraces.

I'm really not liking races in one book and subclasses and other assorted goodies in another book mixing with the PHB +1 rule. At the very least the PHB +1 rule should exempt races like it already does for backgrounds, Gods, and a few other minor mostly fluff things.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Basically a multiversal war version of VGTM. A Chapter on the multiverse and it's major wars, a section of player races (with maybe some other player stuff), and a Chapter on Monsters, it basically is aversion of the MM with a twist.

This will likely be useful for summoners, with new monsters for Conjure X, spells, Summon Demons, Planar Ally, etc...

So far Gish, maybe Shadar Kai, as well as Elven, Dwarf, and Tiefling subraces.

I'm really not liking races in one book and subclasses and other assorted goodies in another book mixing with the PHB +1 rule. At the very least the PHB +1 rule should exempt races like it already does for backgrounds, Gods, and a few other minor mostly fluff things.
I'm certain at this point that not mixing races and classes is very intentional: no need to think about "broken" race/class combos past the PHB interactions. One dimension per book: it's a strategy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads