Coming in May: Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes! [UPDATED!]

I seem to recall the devs saying they were looking at reprinting the monster entries from the AP's in one book, and the more I think of it, the more "foes" would fit that idea. We have had a lot of big name foes appear in AP's since 5e began. I do think they will have a bunch of new monsters (probably some archdevils and Iuz [since he seems more Greyhawk-specific then other big bads]) and some CR 19 or less types (some of the missing devils, demons, yugoloths, demodand/gehreleths, and maybe the archons and guardinals*)

* The demodands in particular seem good fit, since they always felt like more of a "summons went wrong" then "purposely summoned" fiend, so they aren't things most casters have heard of or dealt with. My guess about the archons is because they renamed the elemental archons into elemental myrmidons (freeing up the name). It seems like they are good with celestial elves filling up the eladrin role (and since the celestial elves can be eladrin subraced elves that probably fits), although I would like NPC classes for them that fit the pre-4e eladrin. Guardinals would primarily show because they had stuff for everyone else (maybe changing the focus to be more about guarding things--adding range for "cosmic guard types" beyond the unicorn, the guardian naga, and the sphinxes.

dalisprime

Explorer
A lot of Archfiends have been busy lately, it's just a matter of time to get passed that, and they can stir up the Blood War again.

I believe it was Demon Princes who were preoccupied lately. In other words, while The Blood War may not yet have reignited, it probably will soon.

I believe it was Demon Princes who were preoccupied lately. In other words, while The Blood War may not yet have reignited, it probably will soon.

I'm not often a fan of the "clueless primes" attitude in much of Planescape, but it does make handling these issues very easy. :) Some prime sages got a nice break from the Blood War in their little corner of the multiverse, so they claimed the War was over and that the entire Abyss itself was even throw into the Inner Planes! Just goes to show why you can't trust prime sages, cutter! They can't get past how things look from where they are standing and claiming that's how it is for everyone. Even a Signer would agree that just cuz it looks that way to them right now, doesn't mean that's how it looks to the rest of us, or even to the same addle-cove berk [-]an edition[/-] a little while later!

hawkeyefan

Legend
Here's the blurb:

One of the most powerful wizards in the Dungeons & Dragons multiverse shares some of his hard-won knowledge with fans in a new book full of lore and monsters for D&D fifth edition. Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes is available everywhere on May 29, but you can pick up a limited alternative cover in game stores on May 18, 2018.

Mordenkainen hails from the City of Greyhawk, but over the eons he has expanded his mastery of the major conflicts in the multiverse. Similar to 2016’s Volo’s Guide to Monsters, Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes not only contains everything you need to run challenging new monsters at the table with your friends but also provides tons of storytelling information on some of the most contentious relationships in the multiverse. You’ll learn more about the schism between drow and other elves, githyanki and githzerai, and dwarves and duergar, in addition to reading about the incessant Blood War between demons and devils.

Players will love to delve into Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes to search for story hooks to use with their characters, as well as try out some of the player options for races like tieflings and elves, or maybe an otherworldly githyanki or githzerai. Dungeon Masters looking for inspiration and greater challenges for players who have reached higher levels of play will find much to explore in Tome of Foes.

Slavomir

First Post
hmmm I'm disappointed with the content (at least what was announced). :( expected real introduction to the Planescape .. nothing more than monsters and player hooks.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Here's the blurb:

One of the most powerful wizards in the Dungeons & Dragons multiverse shares some of his hard-won knowledge with fans in a new book full of lore and monsters for D&D fifth edition. Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes is available everywhere on May 29, but you can pick up a limited alternative cover in game stores on May 18, 2018.

Mordenkainen hails from the City of Greyhawk, but over the eons he has expanded his mastery of the major conflicts in the multiverse. Similar to 2016’s Volo’s Guide to Monsters, Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes not only contains everything you need to run challenging new monsters at the table with your friends but also provides tons of storytelling information on some of the most contentious relationships in the multiverse. You’ll learn more about the schism between drow and other elves, githyanki and githzerai, and dwarves and duergar, in addition to reading about the incessant Blood War between demons and devils.

Players will love to delve into Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes to search for story hooks to use with their characters, as well as try out some of the player options for races like tieflings and elves, or maybe an otherworldly githyanki or githzerai. Dungeon Masters looking for inspiration and greater challenges for players who have reached higher levels of play will find much to explore in Tome of Foes.
Interesting.

They call out the similarity to Volo's Guide explicitly. Seems more creature type focused than plane specific, so likely almost identical to Volo's in format with maybe an extra focus on intense rivalries.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases